JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+12
Per
Connor.
Ali G
Skinny.
sjman409
J.
SKC
Levi.
Dave-the-drummer
InSight.
Matt
L'Astronaut
16 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 38 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Nice one Ali! Hope you had fun!

And it'll will be personal preference amongst the forum. i mean it can't be all groove because a good fill (even a short little sparkle) can make a good song/ groove into a great song.
Its all down to interperation and overall playing so if you think it doesn't need fills then thats fine J you can groove all day whereas i like doing fills in little spots. I mean even JJ busts out big meaty snare fills in certain songs.

I have what i call the "skateboard concept": (i use it with my students)

-A skateboarder has got to be able to stand on the board and choose a stance (thats like our grip and seat height etc.)
-Next thing they have to be able to is move on the board and get from A-B, they must be comfortable and solid on the board, and be confident turning left and right and maybe even going in circles. If a skateboarder can't do this he is useless, he has to be able to make the board move without him falling off and without even really thinking. (this our groove and feel, the most important thing)
-next he learns to ollie, (rudiments and very basic fills, and our headroom), The Ollie is the basis for loads of bigger more complex tricks. He has to get the ollie down and not really think about it. Most importantly he has TO LAND IT (like us moving from fill back into groove)! Once he gets it down he has to ollie higher and higher to build up a good basis for harder tricks.
-next he tries a kickflip (16th note fill for 2 beats for example), he is really comfortable with the ollie (can ollie maybe 4-5 decks) and he can also move the board seamlessly from A-B and ollie pretty much anywhere he wants. Since he can Ollie high enough he can do a kickflip, and land the trick and keep moving.
- He can keep appying these into his skateboarding, he can increase his ollie height which gives him more time to land bigger more impressive tricks like double kickflips and grabs.
-Now he is a solid skateboarder with a few nice tricks and very very solid basis to build upon and expand.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 38 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:20 pm

yeah but with a skateboarder once you get good it becomes all about how many tricks can I squeeze in when I jump off of this 900-stairs-stair case. and how can I push the envelope by doign crazy outrageous things.

that is not my approah to drumming.

we should do fire by jimi hendrix for the contest!!
or a nice drumless track for gospel chops type thing.. I've alwyas wanted to do a video of that type of thing...
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:21 pm

I think the best thing to jam to would be something that either 1. is drumless or 2. has a drum machine in it and not real drums, that way we don't have to "compete" against the drums already in the track.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Matt wrote:I think the best thing to jam to would be something that either 1. is drumless or 2. has a drum machine in it and not real drums, that way we don't have to "compete" against the drums already in the track.

yeah this.

I think I'm just gonna chop it all out haha.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:26 pm

J. wrote:yeah but with a skateboarder once you get good it becomes all about how many tricks can I squeeze in when I jump off of this 900-stairs-stair case. and how can I push the envelope by doign crazy outrageous things.

I never once said that though, i was using that as a way to emphasize a solid groove and basis to build upon not as means of killing yourself.

We will all have to agree, a drumless track would be good as i know fire more or less how it is played and can't imagine how to make it any better.
Something like one of those turn it up lay it down tracks would be nice, or somethign along those lines. Ill post some drumless tracks that i have at some stage. We have like 2 weeks to decide.
I think it would need to be drumless.

Last edited by Dave-the-drummer on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Fire by Hendrix would be awesome!

Or we could do several categories with different videos.

Like we do three different categories (groove, chops, interpretation etc)

Each category has a different track/song

Then winner of each category has a battle off.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:28 pm

J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Ali G wrote:Fire by Hendrix would be awesome!

Or we could do several categories with different videos.

Like we do three different categories (groove, chops, interpretation etc)

Each category has a different track/song

Then winner of each category has a battle off.

Too complex Ali, we can do a different style each month maybe
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Dave-the-drummer wrote:
J. wrote:yeah but with a skateboarder once you get good it becomes all about how many tricks can I squeeze in when I jump off of this 900-stairs-stair case. and how can I push the envelope by doign crazy outrageous things.

I never once said that though, i was using that as a way to emphasize a solid groove and basis to build upon not as means of killing yourself.

We will all have to agree, a drumless track would be good as i know fire more or less how it is played and can't imagine how to make it any better.
Something like one of those turn it up lay it down tracks would be nice, or somethign along those lines. Ill post some drumless tracks that i have at some stage. We have like 2 weeks to decide.

yeah I know I was just adding on to it...I like the way to put it though. as long as your students don;t think I what I typed haha.

yeah well I mean fire has groove, chops. just whoever can play the song the best and perform it..
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:31 pm

I like that TIUALID track J, its nice. If you can send it to everyone that is definately an option.

Fire wouldn't be proving best drummer, cause its not us its just copying someone else and performing their part.
This is about interperation, creating a feel and creating music.

Last edited by Dave-the-drummer on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by L'Astronaut Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Ali G wrote:Sweet, I'm in!

I've been playing for only like 18 months but it'll be fun. Very Happy

Hey, that's about how long i've been playing too!

New ride is in...pictures will follow shortly.
L'Astronaut
L'Astronaut

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Dave-the-drummer wrote:I like that track J, its nice. If you can send it to everyone that is definately an option.

yeah I could make it downloadable.
but here's the thing. I already have a vid. and people can take ideas.
for the contest let's make it to where everyone submits their videos at the time of the entry. that way no one can borrow ideas and stuff.

I have like fiver other drumless tracks aswell.

actually everyone go to www.drumfun.com
notice me on the homepage.
then look for like download samples. there's like 5 or six songs to download. get them. and then we can decide which one is the one we want to use for the contest..
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:36 pm

I wouldn't take you ideas J, thats nothing like what i would play in that song.
I can't find those examples.
Anyone wanna send them to me?
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:37 pm

I'll find the link for the free songs..
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:40 pm

and another reason I don't want to do the song I did is because for the contest I want to record with a full mic setup.

and I can;t find the free samples..
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:41 pm

ahh found them!
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Yea i can't find the free download samples anywhere those ones are charging me for shipping ???. I won't have a full mic setup, its not really that important to have a full mic setup, doesn't make you play any better.

Last edited by Dave-the-drummer on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:43 pm

it makes you sound better obviously though.. but yeah it doesnt really matter.
It's just something I've always wanted to do!

Last edited by J. on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:44 pm

What if we all choose that one though, would you record it again? (Also free samples won't work for me...) ^^^
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm

How do I get these tracks?

It wants me to pay for shipping
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm

ehh I probably won't.. but there's some other really cool ones.

hmm. well go the the home page and at the top click free stuff.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Ali G wrote:How do I get these tracks?

It wants me to pay for shipping
click soemthing about digital delivery.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:55 pm

OH!

Digital Delivery only works if you put your country as USA, I put mine as Malaysia, so it wasnt there, but I just put USA. So theyre downloading now
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:00 pm

haha. cool man.
have fun drumming to them let us know which one you want to do for the contest.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next