JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of wood for my new snare?

+3
InSight.
Dave-the-drummer
SKC
7 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? Empty What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by SKC Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm ordering wood to build a Stave snare extremely soon, what is your guys' favorite wood? What should I use? Tell me now!!!! Shocked

P.S - I'm leaning towards Mahogany at the moment.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:28 pm

If your building your own snare, Keller Maple Shells are the most abundant!
However something different would be cool!
Its really up to you, no point in asking us!
If you can get the shell go for it! If you are bending your own shells it really could be anything!

A guy on PDF made some of Jarrah Snare a while back and it was freaking out of this world! Looked killer!
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by SKC Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:53 pm

no no no. No Keller shells will be used, hahaha, I have enough skills and experience to build a Stave snare. I would love to get some Jarrah wood, but I have found nothing in the way of suppliers that carry the darned wood!!!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:19 pm

I don't know about you but I'm going for a 14x6 6ply Maple Shell with wood hoops.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skinny. Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:18 am

InSight. wrote:I don't know about you but I'm going for a 14x6 6ply Maple Shell with wood hoops.
I normally wouldn't suggest this if you were building toms or something, but how about reinforcement rings on such a thin shelled snare? Snares are always going to hold higher and tighter tunings than toms and kicks and whatever, so rings wouldn't be a bad idea if you want to avoid that possibility of a warped shell.

I'm just suggesting...
Skinny.
Skinny.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:24 am

Perhaps, it's still very early in the making. Just idea's being thrown around right now.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:30 am

You should have them built-in. That would be neat to see how that would work; it would be hard work, though.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Jarrah Wood Shawn! Its all you need! Screw the Mahogany
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:19 pm

Dude, I'm still looking for someone that sells it in the US... No luck... Sad
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Aw mate that sucks!
Jarrah snares really rock!
Are you bending, drilling, doing your own baring edges, and snare beds?

Found this little page about Jarrah Wood! No wonder you can't find any!
http://www.woodworkersauction.com/jarrahpage.htm
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm going to be doing everything, ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!.

I just read that page, that's crappy... Haha, I'm gonna look at those sellers listed in there
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Cool if it all goes well you can build me one Wink

Any spec ideas yet?
I'd go for something "normal" for your first one, like 14x5 then if you get good make your best bud Dave a 12x7 Birch Snare with Ayotte wood hoops
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:38 pm

5.5x14 will be the size. I wanna get the sleishman free floating sytem but I have had no luck finding a dealer/distibutor in the US. I'll probably go with ego tube lugs. The wood hoops will be made by me with the same wood material. I thought of how to make the wood hoop, but I need it draw it and show it to you guys.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm

And if I do become pretty good at it, we'll see about making you one.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:13 pm

Yea dude you gotta share the whole process with us! all Plans and designs etc.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I could get a nice snare in Jarrah Wood, you know, just to make you jealous.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 pm

InSight. wrote:I could get a nice snare in Jarrah Wood, you know, just to make you jealous.

I'll get Jarrah wood, no matter what.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Very cool, it's a very nice material. I can't afford the extra cost to get one in my snare, however.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Build it, Ash!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 pm

No, it would be through Metro. I have no expertise to do anything but assemble the drums, I wouldn't even trust myself drilling the lug holes. I know I'd do something wrong, I know it. As you can see I also have a lot of faith in my self Very Happy
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Dang, I have looked all over and I can't find anyone that supplies Jarrah... I guess I need to look at another wood; what do you guys think?
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Walnut
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Metro drums, it would actually be quite cheap for you. Except shipping perhaps. Just putting it out there.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:15 am

Hmmm I'll look into walnut and metro, both.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:54 am

I'm gonna be using an awesome wood that has been all around me in Oregon; I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. The wood is called Oregon Myrtlewood, I can get some pretty inexpensively.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next