JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metro Drums.

+7
J.
Rubber314chicken
Dave-the-drummer
SKC
Matt
Levi.
InSight.
11 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Metro Drums. - Page 7 Empty Re: Metro Drums.

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:45 am

Levi. wrote:I dunno, just listening back to it, it seems like the wash is always on the verge of washing out the stick. It sounds like it's been played with some massive oval tip, so if I played it with my SD2's ball tip I think it could clean it up and make the stick sound even woodier, and more defined. This ride (whichever one I end up with) is really gonna have to be a great crash/ride. I'm gonna look to use it as a big crash, and a ride, and I want it to do both of those really well. The crash on the Vintage seems really nice, and it sounds like it opens up easily. I want a really woody stick sound, like, super woody. The Vintage is very woody, but it does sort of put me off, with the wash being so overpowering. I might have to just jump in and go for it.

Another thing, it will almost certainly dry out quite a bit, as it wears in. My 22" was way out of control when I got it, but then after only 2 or 3 days, it calmed down heaps.

Actually, I don't think I've ever had a ride wash out on me when I was using the ball tips. Every ride I've used them on, it always makes the stick sound tight and defined.
It's most definitely on the verge, but I don't think it would ever get there. As I mentioned, it is a slight downside to it (IMO) but I like the wash. It's tasteful. It could definitely work as a crash, if you don't plan on riding it a great deal. Even then, it stills would prove an effective ride.
Yeah, understandable. Do some cymbal swells to break it in, it helps speed the break-in process as the cymbal molecules settle-in. That should also help if it's a bit too out of control, though it always seems more effective to simply break it in Very Happy Basically it will purify the sound and add some complexity.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:04 am

I'll probably listen to it more tomorrow, then maybe make a decision. I'll probably use it about 50/50 ride/crash, so it has to have a fairly good solid stick sound too, and the crash is very good.

I know all about cymbal swells. I had planned to do them with my 22", and I did a few, but just playing it for a few days really changed the sound. It really settled in after the first few days, then after that it wore in fairly slowly. It will probably clean up the sound, but I dunno about adding complexity.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:12 am

Levi. wrote:I know all about cymbal swells. I had planned to do them with my 22", and I did a few, but just playing it for a few days really changed the sound. It really settled in after the first few days, then after that it wore in fairly slowly. It will probably clean up the sound, but I dunno about adding complexity.
Yeah, mine took quite a while to wear in. But then again, it's only primary source was my playing. The rooms fairly static, so not a lot of air circulations, no all that humid. So not a lot occurred naturally.
And I think we went a bit off-topic. We managed to stay on for about 140 posts Very Happy
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 am

Yeah. I think mine broke in so quickly was because the metal wasn't used to moving around much. Before I got it, it was probably given a little tap at the Dream factory, then the soundfile at cymbalsplus, then that's probably it. So, with me playing it, it loosened up alot of tension in the cymbal.

Haha, I don't mind going off topic, as long as I'm the one who goes off topic.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:30 am

Levi. wrote:Yeah. I think mine broke in so quickly was because the metal wasn't used to moving around much. Before I got it, it was probably given a little tap at the Dream factory, then the soundfile at cymbalsplus, then that's probably it. So, with me playing it, it loosened up alot of tension in the cymbal.

Haha, I don't mind going off topic, as long as I'm the one who goes off topic.
That was the case with me HD ride, it was directly ordered. It's not like it was in the show-room for 6 months, played every now and then, it had had a fairly limited amount of playing as it had only recently arrived into the country. The same will apply to my K Con, I'll be interested to see how long it takes to break-in. THough I always have more trouble with drier rides as apposed to a washier ride.

This forum is so notorious for it. Though I must admit, this forum is rather boring for me. I really haven't been posting a great deal out of this thread and the JJ thread. It seems like it's the same conversations circulating, and I'm not really learning, just talking. Sure, it's enjoyable, but I visit the PDF to learn and build my knowledge, as well as help others and to be helped.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:42 am

InSight. wrote:
This forum is so notorious for it. Though I must admit, this forum is rather boring for me. I really haven't been posting a great deal out of this thread and the JJ thread. It seems like it's the same conversations circulating, and I'm not really learning, just talking. Sure, it's enjoyable, but I visit the PDF to learn and build my knowledge, as well as help others and to be helped.

I think this forum's alright. I don't post here that much, but it's good to read through the threads and see what's going on. This is just like an extended version of the JJ Thread.

I still go on PDF alot, but I hardly ever post there anymore. PDF is good because it's got so many members, and lots of different stuff happens. Here, we've only got a few members, so we always know what's going on with everyone.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:25 am

Levi. wrote:I think this forum's alright. I don't post here that much, but it's good to read through the threads and see what's going on. This is just like an extended version of the JJ Thread.

I still go on PDF alot, but I hardly ever post there anymore. PDF is good because it's got so many members, and lots of different stuff happens. Here, we've only got a few members, so we always know what's going on with everyone.
Well yeah, I do regularly read most of the posts here. Just don't see the point in replying, as I mentioned; I'm here to learn and build my knowledge, as well as helping others. And to be honest, not a lot of that goes on here. It's mere discussion, and more often than not, about the same general stuff. Sure, it nice to chat with those who have a lot in common, but I also like seeing the views of others with total different opinions and ideas. If you haven't noticed I also enjoy a nice debate, and do so regularly over at the PDF. Though I continuously received neg. rep so I slowed it down, but it also had a lot to do with me being pretty pissed about the recent JJ Johnson occurrences. I've learnt quite a bit from the PDF, when I began, and it wasn't all that long ago, I had an extremely small amount of knowledge on some specific areas. They changed me as a drummer and musician, I started out there in my metal faze, and that forum actually partially pushed me out from it. Somehow.

I'm on there regularly, as you can tell by my post count. Until I get to 10K, then I'll just hang around the cymbal forum and general forum. I don't have a lot of interest in visiting the other forums. The chit chat isn't worth visiting any more, back in the day I could go in there each night for a good laugh, now it's all crap. Games threads clog the pages, and the rest is usually useless crap. Then there's the occasional attempted funny thread, only to burn down in failish flames. I still have a somewhat dislike of the PDF, mostly just the higher-ups, they've lost my respect. They may not care, but they can't expect me to be all for their services and products from now on.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:15 am

I don't get why you, or anyone else, care about your post count. I just post whenever I feel like I have something to say. Unless I get into a conversation with someone, then I'll just talk fecal matter for ages. But I can't complain if you enjoy that.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:19 am

Levi. wrote:I don't get why you, or anyone else, care about your post count. I just post whenever I feel like I have something to say. Unless I get into a conversation with someone, then I'll just talk fecal matter for ages. But I can't complain if you enjoy that.
I really don't care, I just feel the need to be at 10K. Hell I don't even know how many posts I have here, I know it's around 500-700. I'd rather gain respect (in which case I didn't at the PDF by arguing), but yeah, I just have the urge to have 10,000. If you don't understand, then whatever.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:33 am

Yeah, that wasn't an attack at you, by the way. I'm not saying that you make meaningless posts, it's just that most people who want a big post count just go around saying, "nice kit", and stuff like that. I've actually done it a few times. I notice you don't do much of that stuff.

So, I hope I didn't offend you before.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:40 am

Nah, I take no-offence. I realise that it's pretty lame to even give a care to post count. Once upon a time I did reply with 'nice kit', but not anymore. I try and contribute as much as possible, in the most positive matter possible. Even more so here, my posts generally have far more insight in them.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:45 am

InSight. wrote: my posts generally have far more insight in them.

Haha, I c wut u did ther.

Or something like that.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote: my posts generally have far more insight in them.

Haha, I c wut u did ther.

Or something like that.
Cool Sneaky, wasn't it.

So today I spent the day jamming with my new band. They're awesome guys, and even better musicians. We actually got 5 songs down over about 8 hours, obviously not full, and missing many parts. But it gives a very good idea. We also got a recording down, with the rhythm guitar with both drums and lead overdubbed. I wish I could share it with you, I really love it. Though I'm going to redo my drums tomorrow I think, I'm not all too pleased with my drumming in the recording. But yeah, great day. Some of the stuff is extremely catchy, we'll continue jamming at school, and have a few gigs in our sights.
I'm not sure if I'll stick with my other band, they're great and all. But I don't see us going all that far, and I also don't feel greatly comfortable with them. They do some amazing guitar work, but there's also many down-sides that bug me at times.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:04 am

It sounds like you had a great day. Are all of the songs originals? What type of music are you guys playing? I would love to hear this recording, what gear are you guys using.

I can't wait to get our recording setup going. We should record a few originals first, then hopefully I'll have fairly regular drum recordings that I can show you guys.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:47 am

All songs were created by us, some were already somewhat put-together at school between me and one particularly guitarist, so we had them already slightly down. It's fairly mixed as in genres right now,we had a few fairly heavy rock ones, and a few lighter acoustic rock pieces. I'll look forward to see just how we unfold with time. I'm going to muck around and master the tracks a bit tomorrow with a better program on our PC as garageband is somewhat limited when mixing (IMO), that or I have discovered its full functionality yet. And as I mentioned I would like to record a better drum track, but perhaps afterwards I'll share with you Levi. But in all I'm very happy with the recording, and what we pushed out today.

I can't wait to hear it man, I'm intrigued. I wish I had some lovely recording gear, I can't wait to hear what you and your band produce.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 am

Yeah, we have some alright gear to record with. I don't know how the drums are gong to turn out. We're not going to do the full setup, you know, mics on everything. We're gonna go with Led Zep's setup, mic on the bass, mic on the snare, and two overheads. It worked great for them, but I don't know how it will turn out for us. What do you reckon?

For everything else we've got good mics, except we don't have some super expensive condenser mic for vocals. We'll just use a Sennheiser, I guess it's similar to an SM58.

I think the real difference is in the mixing. We've done a few recordings with other people before, and they always sound good at the end of the day, after all the tracks are down. But then when we get them back a few weeks later, there's always things that could have easily been improved with better mixing. And these guys all have top notch gear. So, I think if we're on the ball when it comes to mixing, they should turn out all right.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:22 am

How do I somehow always return to this forum like 2 minutes after you post? No joke, I always do it. Anyway...

I think that'd be a good enough set-up, I mean, that would be the best place to start. The overheads will pick up more than enough, and should do a good job. If I do end up buying some mics, that will most likely be what I will try and cover first (kick, snare and 2 overheads). Then later on I can easily add on if necessary, so I'd just see how it goes. I'd presume it would work fine, but at least you can always simply add-on.

I find that a lot as well, even with our recordings yesterday. Listening to and mixing last night it sounded fantastic, and already today I look back and realize how much better I could have done mixing, as well as us recording. It was very difficult for me as because we'd created the majority of the piece yesterday, I couldn't exactly play my drum part, then overdub guitars. So rhythm guitar came first, meaning obviously the timing would end-up quite off. So just trying to get a better mix out today was a difficult task, that being the biggest reason why I doubt I'll share the recording. It's not my fault, and I know everybody would understand, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable, and it's somewhat embarrassing.

By the way, what computer program will you be using?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:46 am

Yeah, I think our setup should be good enough, then we can add on later.

Did you guys use a click track? Everyone one I've done, we've used a click track. I know you don't need one, but it makes everything so much easier when you're overdubbing or adding stuff in, or moving parts.

I'm not quite sure, but it could be Reason. My brother's got it on the computer at dad's place, and he's been playing around with it, and I think he likes it so far. We haven't got the computer that we'll be recording with yet. That's the last thing we need, then we can start recording.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:00 am

No click track this time round, we literally pushed out each recording on the first try. And it was all done fairly quickly. I know for a fact that next time we record I'll definitely use a click. And I'll record first. I was mucking around garageband today, and I'm really learning quite a bit. Still on my Mac I'm ever learnings it's functionalities, and each one is amazing. I really love this thing, and each day I love it more. I've got the drums down pretty well, it's just when there are large breaks that really puts me off. But I'll be able to easily get the track down immediately with a click, and without other instruments.

I don't believe I've heard of 'Reason'. Any good? What computer will you be purchasing?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:20 am

Yeah, I think a click track will help you heaps next time, same with doing drums first. And yeah, most of the recording programs have amazing functions, and you'll keep finding new things all the time.

My brother seems to think Reason is pretty good, I think most of the programs should work fairly well. I don't exactly know what computer it is, but I think it's a fairly good one. Our bassist is buying all the computer stuff, new monitor, all that stuff, so that's pretty good.

Also, I just purchased something. It just might be a cymbal. Very Happy
Have a guess what it is.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:45 am

Most definitely, I would've used one if I had known my part. But it was still sort of a jam for me, but recorded. I wish I could put my musicmaker program on my Mac, it's a fantastic program for mastering, something that I believe garageband lacks in. If I do begin recording more seriously, which I'd love to do, I'll check out Logic Studio, it seems to be an amazing program.

Oooo, when shall this little goodie *cough* Dream *cough* arrive? I'm happy for you man, at least you won't have to wait for 3 months. Longest 3 months in my life, seriously.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:56 am

I really like it playing by myself when I'm recording. I always learn my part really good for a few days before we record. Then I always seem to play really solid when we're recording.

I think Pro-Tools is where it's at in terms of recording programs. I've never actually used it, but people seem to get amazing setups using Pro-Tools. But there are so many good programs out there.

And seeing as it's Thursday, I expect it to be here about next Wednesday. I'm really starting to feel sorry for you. It must be so hard waiting that long. You probably even make it worse having that spare cymbal stand set up on your kit, Every time you look at it, you'd be reminded that your flat ride should be there.

I assume you know which Dream I got?
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:20 am

I will get parts down, if I had an official part! Ha-ha. I still need to do a lot of recording of myself, hopefully then I'll feel more comfortable. Especially when it’s a recording of just me, I feel far more pressured and never perform at my best. That being a simple drum recording, not a band recording.

There’s so much on the market, it’s unbelievable. I used to subscribe to DRUM! Magazine, and each month in the recording section, it’s just unbelievable. Some months they’d name some new top programs, and there’s just so many of them.

I’ll look forward to seeing it! It was most definitely a lovely dream.
Yeah, it’s really becoming quite annoying. I’ve actually considered canceling the whole thing a few times and simply ordering a nice Agop flat ride. There was a Turk ride on ebay for about $200 awhile back, I tell you, it was tempting. I mean, just thinking about this $1,100 cymbal makes me shiver at times. I could’ve picked up so many nice deals, but I know it’ll be worth it. I’ll tell you now though; you won’t be seeing too many more purchases from the big 3. Yeah, the stand definitely makes it worse. I’ve put my PST5 ride, 16 Alpha crash, and now my thin splash on it. As you can tell I want something there! I seriously can’t wait to have the position full-filled.

Yes, I do. And it was a lovely one. I’ll have a listen to some more dreams one day, see if I can find something else I like. Although I’m going to Australia’s Ultimate Drummers weekend, and with hope I’ll pick up a pie or two there.

Also, I made it to 10,000 on PDF, made a thread, and wala, it was swarmed with utter tools. So yeah, I closed it. But now I’ll just post for those who need help around the PDF.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:48 am

InSight. wrote:I will get parts down, if I had an official part! Ha-ha. I still need to do a lot of recording of myself, hopefully then I'll feel more comfortable. Especially when it’s a recording of just me, I feel far more pressured and never perform at my best. That being a simple drum recording, not a band recording.

I know, I recorded myself playing alone a while ago, and I was shocked at how stiff and tense sounding I played. i don't have any trouble recording for the band, even if it's just myself and a click track.

InSight. wrote:
There’s so much
on the market, it’s unbelievable. I used to subscribe to DRUM!
Magazine, and each month in the recording section, it’s just
unbelievable. Some months they’d name some new top programs, and
there’s just so many of them.

I know, and most of them are great. Hell, even Audacity had some pretty cool features.

InSight. wrote:
I’ll look forward to seeing it! It was most definitely a lovely dream.
Yeah,
it’s really becoming quite annoying. I’ve actually considered canceling
the whole thing a few times and simply ordering a nice Agop flat ride.
There was a Turk ride on ebay for about $200 awhile back, I tell you,
it was tempting. I mean, just thinking about this $1,100 cymbal makes
me shiver at times. I could’ve picked up so many nice deals, but I know
it’ll be worth it. I’ll tell you now though; you won’t be seeing too
many more purchases from the big 3. Yeah, the stand definitely makes it
worse. I’ve put my PST5 ride, 16 Alpha crash, and now my thin splash on
it. As you can tell I want something there! I seriously can’t wait to
have the position full-filled.

That would be incredibly tempting to cancel the order, seeing all these other great deals go by.

InSight. wrote:
Yes, I do. And it was a lovely
one. I’ll have a listen to some more dreams one day, see if I can find
something else I like. Although I’m going to Australia’s Ultimate
Drummers weekend, and with hope I’ll pick up a pie or two there.

I'm really excited about this cymbal. Just listening to all the Blisses, they all had that metallic stick, just like you said, which was definitely not what I was going for. Then I took a listen to Vintage's, and they were totally different. They all had a woody stick sound, none of them were harsh, but some of them did get washed out pretty easily. I liked this cymbal the more I listened to it.

What's going on with this Drummer's Weekend? Is it like NAMM, with all the products and stuff, or does it have drummers doing cliics and stuff like?

InSight. wrote:
Also,
I made it to 10,000 on PDF, made a thread, and wala, it was swarmed
with utter tools. So yeah, I closed it. But now I’ll just post for
those who need help around the PDF.

Yeah, but you would have sort of expected that, wouldn't you? 90% of people on the PDF are dicks now.

Haha, what if this whole thing is just the dumbass against you. You get to 10K, then he goes through and deletes some threads so you lose your post count. Haha, that would be quite the scandal, the dumbass vs. Ash.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:18 am

Levi. wrote:I'm really excited about this cymbal. Just listening to all the Blisses, they all had that metallic stick, just like you said, which was definitely not what I was going for. Then I took a listen to Vintage's, and they were totally different. They all had a woody stick sound, none of them were harsh, but some of them did get washed out pretty easily. I liked this cymbal the more I listened to it.
Yeah, they also sounded fairly hollow (IMO), I mean, there were some nice ones in the bunch. But not exactly what I was looking for, perhaps I’ll check out the Vintage’s. I just don’t want something too similar to my current cymbals, both being fairly dark and dry. I want to steer away. There’s a few I wouldn’t mind however, many from Bosphorus (man do they have some nice rides).

Levi. wrote:What's going on with this Drummer's Weekend? Is it like NAMM, with all the products and stuff, or does it have drummers doing cliics and stuff like?
Well it’s a mixture of NAMM and Modern Drummers Festival. It has world-wide drummers performances throughout the day, as well as clinics of a morning. Then there is a very, very big expo. Nothing compared to NAMM, but it’s still very large. Most companies have a display, except a few of the big ones. But apparently everything there is on sale, so with hope I’ll go around trying what I can.

Levi. wrote:Yeah, but you would have sort of expected that, wouldn't you? 90% of people on the PDF are dicks now.
Well it isn’t exactly a feat, it just sort of happened. Up until the beginning of this year I was only on like 3,000, but I guess I’ve just had quite a bit of spare time on my hands so far. It will most likely change as the year ends, and summer arrives.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next