JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+11
SKC
mutt_78
J.
sjman409
Barrett
Ali G
Dave-the-drummer
Connor.
Levi.
Taylor.
Matt
15 posters

Page 4 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 38  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Barrett Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:22 pm

looks great SJ however I would also suggest what Matt suggested, that way you get the full tone of the Jam Block
Barrett
Barrett

http://www.myspace.com/winnersbydefaultmusic

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by sjman409 Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:51 pm

Yeah i've been adjusting it to get the best tone. And yeah I really like playing latin music
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:33 am

sjman409 wrote:.... yeah I really like playing latin music

Really? You wouldn't half notice hahaha tongue
I don't mind a good bit of latin but jazz is my favourite to play, i have been building my foot independence for a while now, i think some day ill get a foot cowbell/jam block and mounting bracket (been thinking about it for a few months now) but not right now.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:47 am

So i have a huge wasps nest inside one of the walls of my house..... crap.....
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:32 pm

damn, that's epic.

At my apartment, on my balcony, i have like 5 or 6 mud dobbers nests. it sucks.

In the discussion of what's our favorite genre to play, i've really enjoyed playing hip-hop/r&b lately.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Barrett Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36 pm

I have always wanted to do dnb but it is hard to find someone to do that. I actually almost started a techno/house/dnb thing with my friend but it didn't happen.

Also what the hell is up no one is ever on anymore....
Barrett
Barrett

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:54 pm

i know, i dislike the way this has become a ghost town.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Barrett Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:11 pm

It really does upset me.
Barrett
Barrett

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:09 pm

ha sorry guys. I've been really busy with drumline and friends and stuff. and DCI!!
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:21 pm

wtf.

how's the line coming along?
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:32 pm

well I third snare moved to florida, so we're down to two.

but holy crap it's going to be a great year. the bass line is on fire. and i mean that.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:35 pm

in my opinion, a good bass line is worth a lot more than people think.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:48 pm

yeah same here.

everyone's all about the snares! (I don't blame them though) haha
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Barrett Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Cool Jeff. I always admire guys that do drumline. However I don't have the patients for it.

Also I should be ordering the rest of the gretsch tonight or in the morning
Barrett
Barrett

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:57 pm

J - I think a clean Bass line would be my favorite part, then quints, then probably snare

unless the snareline is like 7+ people, and they're super clean.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Sounds cool J, although i really don't no much about drumlines as there is no "drumline" stuff in Ireland.
There is like ulster scots bands, pipe bands, marching bands and loads of like very traditional stuff.
The "drum" is a really traditional irish instrument, we have loads of stuff like, lambegs, bodhrans, side drums, spoons (haha) etc. and its a big part of our culture but its all so very different from your stuff. Of we have all the contemporary stuff aswell and its ALOT more popular than irish traditional music but still if you go into a wee pub about here you'll get some bodhrans and tin whiltles evryday of the week haha.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Oh yeah and about the "ghost town" thing, i have been double and even triple posting lately as there has been so little action around here!
Hopefully it'll be better when the drum off begins, and hopefully my friggin dream gets here by then too.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:05 pm

I think i have like quadruple posted in the "what are you listening to?" thread
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Yea matt that thread officially belongs to you now! Check it haha
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:35 am

well im posting sometimes.
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:04 am

Whoa! a store in my country actually has a Bosphorus ride!

yes, a single bosphorus ride. Just one.

It's a 22" Bosphorus Masters Flat Ride

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 4 Mas_rides_flat_f

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 4 Mas_rides_flat_b
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:46 am

Hey guys, I haven’t been on much lately. Been pretty busy with things honestly. But here’s some updates. On Saturday I attended Australia’s Ultimate Drummers Weekend. Artists such as Dom Famularo, Virgil Donati, Ronald Bruner Jr., Thomas Pridgen, Pete Locket, plus a number of other names which are most likely better known here, within Australia attended. I attended both Dom’s and Virgils’s workshops [small clinics] in the morning. Unfortunately Dom only actually played the kit for a few minutes, those minutes obviously being amazing. His dynamics never cease to amaze me. He spent the majority of his time discussing books that every drummer must have, but also covering a number of other areas. Virgil demonstrated (along with some hand-outs) some crazy Rhythmic Phrasing’s, most of which required crazy coordination. He demonstrated and went through them all, some grooved incredibly well. Most of it wasn’t my cup-of-tea, but it was definitely very eye-opening and amazing to watch and read. Other artists throughout the day also blew my mind, Ronald Bruner Jr. largely standing out. He reminded me somewhat of John Blackwell, hence his amazing drumming. He had everything packed in, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him.
Onto the expo: I didn’t get any pictures for everybody as I had no idea where exactly our camera was. What stood out however; I tried out and was mainly intrigued by the cymbals. I found many throughout the day that sounded lovely, though as you can imagine, 200 people walking around tapping things, it’s hard to hear anything proper about any of the cymbals. There was a Meinl Byzance Jazz Series Club Ride (Flat ride with 4 rivets). I can’t remember the size, but boy was this a beautiful cymbal. The rivets really finish it very well; I love the Jazz Series, though it was a tad too quick for my liking, hence probably the rivets to linger the tone. They had a massive selection of Bosphorus cymbals, along with Gretsch Drums. The turk series looked (and I think sounded, ha-ha) amazing. Visually they had such an amazing appearance, and the hats especially stood out to me. Artisan Light Ride also stood out, but no way do I have a spare $1,400. The Artisan hats also sounded amazing, but they sounded somewhat hollow to me. Though my opinion on these change ever time I hear them, even during yesterday I went from not enjoying them of the morning to later enjoying them. Unfortunately Zildjian was mostly just displaying the Z3’s. Yay, a whole wall of what appeared to be every damn model. Though I did find some K Light hats and a K ride tucked away on a kit in a different room, boy were these hats nice. Definitely a contender for my next hats. There was a really, really nice small kit, a pink stain finish, an 18” Kick (from appearance). Boy did it look amazing. There was also a display of a large amount of exotic Australian snares. All were visually beautiful. I also found a Blackwood snare by Sleishman, Levi, though I didn’t hear it all too well, it was beautiful. There was a large amount of Paiste Twenty cymbals, also which I couldn’t hear all too well. I also purchased MD Fest 2005 DVD and Stick Control. I have more to say, but really can’t be bother typing more, if anybody even reads this any way.

And Ali, buy it. K.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:41 am

Oh man, I'd love to go to one of these things. Damn australia and america. Getting all them good drummers. Malaysia gets like one drummer every six months to come, and majority of the stupid butt drummers here want Joey Jordison and Mike Portnoy to come. Oh god, how I hate them. Portnoy has come like twice and they're voting for him to come again, (If he comes, I probably won't go.)

I'd definitely hit up that Thomas Pridgen clinic if I had the chance. He's one of my favourite drummers.

Sounds like a good day, Ash. Sucks about Zildjian promoting their Z3s so much.

I know what you mean about liking cymbals more after a while and tastes on cymbals changing. The first time I hear the artisan light ride, believe it or not, I didn't like it. I thought it was too trashy. But now, I'd kill for one of those.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:43 am

And about that flat ride, apparently its been sitting in that store for like the past two years. They used to be the lone distributor of Bosphorus cymbals in Malaysia, but they stopped selling em (people here can't appreciate good cymbals, most drummers here are still using Paiste 101s or Z customs)

So I don't know how much it costs, but it sure is lovely.

I;m afraid to buy it though, I'm just scared I wont use it. I love flat rides, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling it will be underutilised. I can't use it in my band, and it's not a really versatile type of cymbal
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:31 am

Ali G wrote:Oh man, I'd love to go to one of these things. Damn australia and america. Getting all them good drummers. Malaysia gets like one drummer every six months to come, and majority of the stupid butt drummers here want Joey Jordison and Mike Portnoy to come. Oh god, how I hate them. Portnoy has come like twice and they're voting for him to come again, (If he comes, I probably won't go.)

I'd definitely hit up that Thomas Pridgen clinic if I had the chance. He's one of my favourite drummers.

Sounds like a good day, Ash. Sucks about Zildjian promoting their Z3s so much.

I know what you mean about liking cymbals more after a while and tastes on cymbals changing. The first time I hear the artisan light ride, believe it or not, I didn't like it. I thought it was too trashy. But now, I'd kill for one of those.
I'm very appreciative that we can get such nice artists over here, hell, we had Steve Smith in Geelong, and almost had Thomas Lang also. That's in Geelong, not exactly the hot spot of Australia, not even a capital city.

Ali G wrote:And about that flat ride, apparently its been sitting in that store for like the past two years. They used to be the lone distributor of Bosphorus cymbals in Malaysia, but they stopped selling em (people here can't appreciate good cymbals, most drummers here are still using Paiste 101s or Z customs)

So I don't know how much it costs, but it sure is lovely.

I;m afraid to buy it though, I'm just scared I wont use it. I love flat rides, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling it will be underutilised. I can't use it in my band, and it's not a really versatile type of cymbal
Ahh, some nice patina has gathered? At least it will be aged Very Happy

Bosphorus have fantastic prices, hence why I'm putting my sights on them from now on. Along with Istanbul.

I also forgot to mention that Istanbul were supposed to be at the show, but I couldn't find them anywhere. So I presume they didn't show.

I won't have a use for my flat ride, I know that for a fact. Perhaps later on if I find some decent jazz scenes or members, but it's more for personal use. Why should I dedicate 100% towards my band? This isn't cheap money.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 38  Next