JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+11
SKC
mutt_78
J.
sjman409
Barrett
Ali G
Dave-the-drummer
Connor.
Levi.
Taylor.
Matt
15 posters

Page 35 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 35 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Matt Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:47 am

dave, the kit looks so good man, that setup looks super comfortable.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 35 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Ali G Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:01 am

Yay, I'm glad this thread's up again!

I have more cymbals than stands at the moment, and haven't gotten around to buying more stands, so I ended up just changing around my setup every few days, sometimes even twice a day!

Right now, I have my Legacy to the left, the HHX Evo as a main ride, and the CoD next to/above the evo ride, in secondary crash position. And on my other stand I have a cowbell.

But just a few days ago, I had my Avedis and my Turk crash up.

I was planning to buy a splash for my kit, but I ended up buying a Ukulele ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:01 pm

I know that feeling Ali. I used to have a big jumbl of mismatched hardware and little multi-clamps holind everything up. I finally have some good solid hardware for all my stuff. I'd still like to get 1or 2 mor DW6000 stands though.
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment, your frankenkit looks really cool man! I dig it.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Connor and Dave: your kits are both awesome, I'd love to try them out.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Matt wrote:dave, the kit looks so good man, that setup looks super comfortable.

Cheers matt, its not done though, i just bought a PURPLE tambourine and some ProMark Jazz sticks (my favourite sticks).
I will hopefully have a Gope Caixa (samba snare) soon too, and one more ride/crash (that can take a sizzler on it) but im in no rush as i love my kit.
Teddy campbell was a big influence on the set up along with dante roberson
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:01 pm

It sounds like it's going to be an amazing set up, dave! Very Happy

The wait for my drums and cymbals is driving me crazy! I wanna play, sooo badly.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Dave-the-drummer wrote:
Matt wrote:dave, the kit looks so good man, that setup looks super comfortable.

Cheers matt, its not done though, i just bought a PURPLE tambourine and some ProMark Jazz sticks (my favourite sticks).
I will hopefully have a Gope Caixa (samba snare) soon too, and one more ride/crash (that can take a sizzler on it) but im in no rush as i love my kit.
Teddy campbell was a big influence on the set up along with dante roberson

Which tamborine did you get? Im looking to pick one up one of these days, and am leaning towards the Rhythm Tech Pro right now.
Promark Jazz sticks are nice sticks. My ideal sticks (Similar to the VicFirth Dave Weckl Evo's exept without the stain) would have a 16" length, a 0.560" diamter, and a nice ovalular wood tip.
I'd like to pick up a Caixa snare eventually aswell. Which size model are you thining of getting?
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Teddy Campbell is an absolute beast...

even though he's not on the DVD, I think you'd really like kick-snare-hat... it's got aaron spears, gerald heyward, nisan stewart and cora coleman-dunham....

there are some really interesting parts in it.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:56 am

Connor, I know we chatted a couple days back on Facebook about this, but I'll say it again anyway. The kit looks fantastic! Enjoy it as much as you can. Setup looks super groovy, very Benny Greb influenced.

Dave... your kit makes me want to play with 2 toms over the kick. Serious. I'm gonna try it out again one of these days. That just looks waaayyyy too comfortable. haha. Very nice man. New snare looks great too. Congrats.
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 am

Cheers guys,

Matt, i will check that DVD out, i really like teddy as he is one the more tasteful gospel guys in my opinion and his drumming on Idol is genius some times.

Conor, i ended up buying a stagg tambourine, it sounds great and has rubber cover where you strike it so no stick damage. Im liking the 12" by 3"/2.5" (not sure) Gope caixa's in matte black, just like a piccolo shot gun. I was leaning towards meinl but the gope ones are nicer IMO.

Tay, cheers man, means alot as IMO your set ups are always mega comfy. The Shine snare is great, its tuned up real high but the 7" depth just gives it so much body. I have the 14" by 5" tuned low, similar to i can't trust myself by JM or "lets get together" by Al Green

I really like having 2 rack toms over the kick, its just flows well for me and opens up cool fill possibilites etc. IMO there is a reason why this set up comes as standard, it just works for everything.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:17 am

Another guy who i have really gotten into is brian frasier-moore.
His tama superstar bubinga kit is stellar and his new sig snare is killer from what i have heard and seen! I cannot wait to test one out!

His snare and the new zildjian efx cymbals (The 18" K and 20" A) are what i really like from namm this year!

What caught your attention at namm???
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:20 pm

If I could position both my 10" and 12" comfortably over the kick, I'd love to use it. On my next kit I'd like to get 10x7 and 12x8, plus a 20" kick. Looks great dave, really comfy.

So I've still got the thought of a new kit in the back of my head, and have been looking around with my spare time. I'd love a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, I like the specs, though I'm not sure if I'm after a kit with even thinner shells than the 3007's. And the fact that Yamaha Australia don't offer the Apple Sparkle Fade, instead I believe it's all flat finishes, which I don't much like. I guess I'm after a different sound from the 3007's. Birch is another option, but I enjoy the deeper sound of the Maple. I love the kick, and the snare on the 3007, but have never really been all too happy with the toms, not a very big tuning range I've found. I'm after a deep, thundering sound nowadays.

I also really want to change out the heads on my kit. I'm running the 12" tom now, which still has an old Clear G2, and stock reso's. And the J1, although a nice head, goes too floppy with mallet rolls, and doesn't flow at all.

Dave, I wasn't all that interested for NAMM this year, not anywhere near the enthusiasm that I had during previous years, anyway. I was mainly interested, and intrigued by Meinl's additions, and the new K Constantinople rides. It didn't seem like there was all too many new cymbals, anyway. And most were heavy, rock cymbals.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 pm

I think for my next kit my sizes will be 12x8, 14x14, 20x14. I'd go for Yamaha MCAs but they don't offer the 20x14 size which I want. It'll probably be a while before anything of that sort happens though.

Ash, I love the new avatar by the way.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:14 am

Haha, cheers. My sisters border collie, as a christmas present to herself. She's growing so so quickly.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 am

InSight. wrote:Dave, I wasn't all that interested for NAMM this year, not anywhere near the enthusiasm that I had during previous years, anyway. I was mainly interested, and intrigued by Meinl's additions, and the new K Constantinople rides. It didn't seem like there was all too many new cymbals, anyway. And most were heavy, rock cymbals.

I completely agree with you there, Ash.

Typically I'm really excited for Winter NAMM every year, but it didn't seem to matter as much to me this year as I had expected. And even more so after seeing some of the new products, haven't seen anything yet that really caught my attention. Oh well.

The biggest exception to this though, like you said, are some of the new K cymbals. I'm pretty intrigued by the 18" K EFX, and even more so by the new 20" K Light Flat Ride and the 22" K Con Bounce ride. They seem to be excellent cymbals.
Taylor.
Taylor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:05 am

In a completely unrelated note...

I haven't slept since Saturday morning.
Been awake for the last 40 hours or so. This shouldn't matter to any of you, but I just felt like sharing that fact, so there ya go.

EDIT:
Well... the last 12ish hours were spent in the studio with some
friends, laying down some new demo tunes. Twas a good day. So I suppose
it is slightly relevant to the forum after all. haha.
Taylor.
Taylor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:14 am

yeah, the 18" K EFX is interesting to me as well. I was kind of disappointed with the Epro... the price tag is much too high, and i'm disappointed that the tom mounts go straight through the shells, for that price, they should have a better tom mounting system.

today is the first day of classes, and i'm super pumped, i should graduate in may.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:27 am

Connor, different timezones may make this loopy. But happy birthday nonetheless! Have a good day, bro.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks Ash.
I have to go into school to write an English exam this morning but the rest of the day should be good.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Just got home.
Wrote my English exam this morning which went well, then went and hung out with my buddy at the drum shop for a couple hours. Played a bunch of nice kits/snare and cymbals. I bought a DW bassdrum-hoop cowbell mount too which is really great what what I can tell.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Sounds good, except the err exam part. Haha. Anything that really stood out at the shop?

Today I've been mucking around with my mics, as my band wants to record a few pieces. And FINALLY I was able to get a really sweet sound out of the overheads, haha. Very happy. Though I was scared for awhile as the SM57 completely zoned out and stopped working. Fiddled, changed cables, changed pre-amps, checked the wires, and gave up. Chucked it into the first input which had phantom power going and it just started working again. Weird.

edit: and I have something arriving today, yeew. It probably won't interest you guys all too much, but I'm excited. And it is music related.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Played the other shop owner's old Tempus Fiberglass kit. Really big sounding. I played a nice 60's Rogers 14x5 snare that had just been finished cleaning up.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 am

Alright guys.
I got an iPod Classic for my birthday from my family. I've already loaded it up with my all my music, and an subscribing to some padcasts right now. Which should I get? I subscribed to the Hudson Music Drumcast! and the Vic Firth one already.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 am

Is it bad that I don't know any podcasts at all?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next