JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

traditional or matched?

+8
Matt
J.
L'Astronaut
Skinny.
Rubber314chicken
Dave-the-drummer
sjman409
Rotation 4
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

traditional or matched? - Page 2 Empty Re: traditional or matched?

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:22 am

Probably about 60% and 40%, traditional being my prefered. I'm still building it, with my matched still being the stronger of the two. I try, when possible, to use traditional. I switch back when need be, such as the speed, or expertise and complexity of a pattern or groove. But I will continue working on it, and hopefully one day it will be my strongest grip and I will be free and open with it.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Per Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:38 am

About 20% trad, 80% matched.
I've been messing around with trad, but I don't think I'll start using it "seriously".
Per
Per

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Per wrote:About 20% trad, 80% matched.
I've been messing around with trad, but I don't think I'll start using it "seriously".

Yea it has never appealed/ made much sense to me (feels awkward to me), which is wierd as my teacher plays about 80% trad 20% german matched and alot of guys will play how their teacher plays.
I think as drummers we are all so very different, i mean you can copy/mimic someone but you'll never be 100% in their shadow, it will still be you playing in your unique way. In this way trad works for some people but not for others, same with matched.
Its about what feels good to you, and what comes natural, when i picked up the sticks it made sense to me to hold them both the same way.

so why did you trad guys decide to play trad? JJ's influence? Steve? Drum corps? or has it always been trad?
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:20 am

i played strictly matched for the longest time, and saw steve do it, and just tried it on a whim, i feel like i can control the stick better that way, it may all be in my head, but yeah.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:46 am

Dave-the-drummer wrote:

Yea it has never appealed/ made much sense to me (feels awkward to me), which is wierd as my teacher plays about 80% trad 20% german matched and alot of guys will play how their teacher plays.
I think as drummers we are all so very different, i mean you can copy/mimic someone but you'll never be 100% in their shadow, it will still be you playing in your unique way. In this way trad works for some people but not for others, same with matched.
Its about what feels good to you, and what comes natural, when i picked up the sticks it made sense to me to hold them both the same way.

so why did you trad guys decide to play trad? JJ's influence? Steve? Drum corps? or has it always been trad?
It will naturally feel 'awkward' especially after using other grips for a number of years. To suddenly re-program your brain on how your hand/wrist/fingers move and react, it will take time, and it will feel weird. I understand it's not for everybody, however.

I really didn't have any influences, I just wanted to try it, and it hooked on. I mostly just wanted to have to freedom to use both grips easily.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 am

InSight. wrote:
It will naturally feel 'awkward' especially after using other grips for a number of years. To suddenly re-program your brain on how your hand/wrist/fingers move and react, it will take time, and it will feel weird. I understand it's not for everybody, however.

I really didn't have any influences, I just wanted to try it, and it hooked on. I mostly just wanted to have to freedom to use both grips easily.

I mean't it has always felt awkward to me, i naturally held the sticks matched but when i started getting lessons(about a week after i started playing) i saw my teacher use trad and i tried it but it just never felt right! I mean i can play trad well and can freely move around the kit but its just not the same, matched will always be the way for me. Feels and looks better IMO.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Per Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:32 am

Dave-the-drummer wrote:

My teacher only uses trad for brushes, because he was taught to do it that way.
But he says himself that he's really bad at traditional, which is kinda weird, since he mostly plays jazz.
(Btw, I use trad on brushwork also.)

Hey, just a little thought... Does anyone really brush with matched grip? I don't think i have ever seen one.
Per
Per

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Per wrote:
Dave-the-drummer wrote:

My teacher only uses trad for brushes, because he was taught to do it that way.
But he says himself that he's really bad at traditional, which is kinda weird, since he mostly plays jazz.
(Btw, I use trad on brushwork also.)

Hey, just a little thought... Does anyone really brush with matched grip? I don't think i have ever seen one.

I forgot about brushes ("duhhh"), yea i brush trad aswell (i actually play trad alot more than i thought i did Razz ), makes it alot easier to do a circular motion and a slide/ swivvle with the left hand!

I would some time brush with matched grip for certian grooves for example, "together we cry" by the script! That song is great example of using brushes matched!

Naturally it makes more sense to do brush work in trad grip!
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum