JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About you -

+6
J.
Levi.
Per
Ali G
Matt
InSight.
10 posters

Go down

About you - Empty About you -

Post by InSight. Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:58 am

Session time, sit down, and answer me these.

Name: Ashley
Hobbies outside music: Not many, cycling, drawing, simply being out-doors.
Drum Brand: Not one in-particular. I have many favourites, though right now Metro drums is emerging and making it's way to the top of my list quickly.
Cymbal whore? - Never, whatever sounds good. Ignore that logo.
Favourite Drummer: Again, I have many. I'll list a few: Nathaniel Townsley, Steve Smith, Steve Jordan, Jojo Mayer, John Riley, Buddy Rich, Rodney Holmes, Elvis Jones, Mel Lewis, Tony Williams and I guess I'll have to throw JJ Johnson in.
Favourite Band: Once again ever changing, but right now Josh Pyke is at the top. I recommend this artist to anyone looking for good music. Also very close in Damien Rice, one of the best vocalists I've ever heard, just amazing, also a fantastic musician.
Favourite Song: Feeding the Wolves - Josh Pyke.
Favourite Drumming Book: The Art of Bop Drumming! Already my favourite, that says something.
Favourite Drumming DVD: Hudson Music Sampler 2007. I can watch this over and over.
Favourite Movie: Hmm, I really dislike movies. But I don't mind Tears of the Sun.
Favourite Food: Mexican food, yummy.
Prominent Style/Genre? Funk, definitely. Followed by Jazz, rock and folk.
Any other instruments? Guitar. Been playing about 6-years, obviously not as seriously as my drumming, just off on the side-lines for enjoyment.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? Long walks on the beach, baby.
Favourite place: My drum room! Seriously though, I haven't travelled much so I have no stand-outs.
Musical theory or prac.? Prac Very Happy But Theory is always close behind, the brain is doing all the work, so you must teach the brain.
Your Band? No name as of yet, and another on the line-up.
Band Genre: Pretty hard to classify, a lot of different styles, some mixed and some entirely by themselves. Rock and folk being dominant.
Favourite sport? AFL (Australian Football League) by far, never been totally into anything else. I used to play when I was younger, but chose to take my music more seriously as the sport was interrupting practice quite a bit.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

About you - Empty Re: About you -

Post by Matt Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:17 am

Name: Matt
Hobbies outside music: driving, watching movies, tennis
Drum Brand: For now I play Pearl with a Black Panther Snare... I really like Yamaha and Mapex though
Cymbal whore? not really, i really like the Dreams that I have
Favourite Drummer: Steve Jordan, Patrick Hallahan, Thomas Pridgen, Jose Pasillas, Chad Smith
Favourite Band/Solo Artist: John Mayer/JM3, My Morning Jacket, Brett Dennen, Kanye West, The Mars Volta, RHCP, Incubus
Favourite Song: In Repair, Clarity, Out of My Mind - John Mayer (trio)
Favourite Drumming Book: I don't really do drumming books, I do subscribe to Modern Drummer Magazine though.
Favourite Drumming DVD: The Groove is Here, by Steve Jordan
Favourite Movie: Silence of The Lambs is my absolute favorite but there are many many that i really really like
Favourite Food: hmm, can't choose one food... maybe pizza.
Prominent Style/Genre? it's all music.
Any other instruments? I tried bass and guitar... i failed.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? assuming there is a nice young lady with me.... i can't choose.... if i was alone, just me... movie.
Favourite place: that's really tough... maybe just Louisville KY as a whole.
Musical theory or prac.?yes, practice, but you need to understand some theory to practice well.
Favourite sport? To watch-- Basketball, to play--- Tennis
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:19 am

Name: Mohd Ali Ridhwan bin Shaharin
Hobbies outside music: Drawing, reading
Drum Brand: I play Pearl drums, with a Pearl Snare and pearl pedals! heheh
Cymbal whore? - NO!
Favourite Drummer: Mitch Mitchell, John Bonham, Stanton Moore, Josh Eppard, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Elvin Jones, Jojo Mayer, JJ Johnson, Ian Paice
Favourite Band: Coheed And Cambria, The Beatles, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Jack Johnson
Favourite Song: Everything Evil - Coheed & Cambria
Favourite Drumming Book: Advance Techniques for the Modern Drummer - Jim Chapin
Favourite Drumming DVD: Secret Weapons of the Modern Drummer- Jojo Mayer
Favourite Movies: My favourite movie is Walk Hard: The Legend of Dewey Cox. heheheh
Favourite Food: Japanese food maybe? Some sushi, sahimi, teppanyaki.. sall good.
Prominent Style/Genre? Anything that makes my foot tap and makes me feel like humming. Smile
Any other instruments? Guitar. I played for a couple of years before finding my true love <3 I do strum and twang from time to time.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? Movie. You can't walk on the beach if its raining. Wink
Favourite place: The place where I lay my head and sleep.
Musical theory or prac.? Practice. If you go all out on theory without practice, you won't be able to groove.
Your Band? I have a band called EARlobe. We've had two unpaid gigs so far, and we have another one coming up.
Band Genre: Rock and alternative. Incubus-esque stuff.
Favourite sport? Football. As in SOCCER not the american-ised term.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Per Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:47 am

Name: Per
Hobbies outside music: Not much actually. A little golfing when possible maybe. Otherwise I'm just hanging with some friends probably.
Drum Brand: Pearl. But, like a favorite? No idea.
Cymbal whore? Nah.
Favourite Drummer: JJ, Steve, Ronnie Vannuci, Chad Smith, Dom Howard.
Favourite Band/Solo Artist: The Killers, JM/JM3, Kings of Leon, Deportees, Foo Fighters, Muse.
Favourite Song: Changes constantly. Right now it's probably I don't need no doctor - JM3, and Notion - Kings of Leon.
Favourite Drumming Book: I have not read or owned a single one in my entire life.
Favourite Drumming DVD: Same here.
Favourite Movie: Does Band of Brothers count?
Favourite Food:
Chinese, probably.
Prominent Style/Genre? Everything, pretty much.
Any other instruments? A little guitar.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? Probably a movie.
Favourite place: No idea.
Musical theory or prac.? Practice.
Your Band? Don't have one (yet Wink).
Favourite sport? To watch - soccer. To play - golf (although I don't really think of this as a sport...)
Per
Per

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:54 am

Name: Levi
Hobbies outside music: Indoor cricket, I'm not taking it as serious as did a few years ago though
Drum Brand: I play Gretsch, but my favourite brand is Metro.
Cymbal whore: Nope
Favourite Drummer: Steve Jordan, JJ Johnson, Ben Gillies, John Bonham, Chad Smith.
Favourite Band: John Mayer/JM3, Rage Against the Machine, RHCP, Grinspoon.
Favourite Song: Too many good songs to choose from.
Favourite Drumming Book: Never got into any drum books
Favourite Drumming DVD: Steve Jordan, The Groove is Here.
Favourite Movie: Anchorman, The Legend of Ron Burgundy.
Favourite Food: Pizza and Pasta.
Prominent Style/Genre? Mainly just rock, but if it's good music the genre doesn't matter.
Any other instruments? I used to play guitar, but I hardly ever play anymore.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? Movie.
Favourite place: I don't know, probably home.
Musical theory or prac.? Prac, but I like to have some sort of idea of what's going on when I'm playing.
Your Band? Why Wait, we've been together since the start of the year, had maybe hlaf a dozen gigs. We'll start recording our original stuff soon, then we'll start playing alot more gigs round town.
Band Genre: Mainly rock
Favourite sport: Cricket, indoor and outdoor.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Name: Jeffrey or J or Jeff or something
Hobbies outside music: motorcycles, exercising, drumline. oh thats music. friends. girls.
Drum Brand: I play keller shells.
Cymbal whore? nah just whatever tickles my ear's fancy. but that just happens to be Dreams ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!
Favourite Drummers: Steve Jordan, JJ Johnson, I like alot more obviously. these are just the most influential
Favourite Band/Solo Artist: John Mayer/JM3, The Fray, Doyle Bramhall II, Eric Clapton, Clutch, DMB obviously I listen to tons more. I'm starting to really get into Jack Johnson, soulive, the roots, miles davis, and such
Favourite Song: anything and everything John Mayer
Favourite Drumming Book: To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper lee. oh haha favorite drumming book. I have stick control.
Favourite Drumming DVD: The Groove is Here, by Steve Jordan
Favourite Movie: I really liked the Green Mile..
Favourite Food: my mom and dad's cookin'
Prominent Style/Genre? blues, r&b, pop, rock,soul
Any other instruments? nope. strictly percussion. well that includes alot in concert band.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? long walks. but there's no beach in TN.
Favourite place: behind my drum throne (I'm in love with my drums)
Musical theory or prac.? A, then B
Favourite sport? WFD! haha jk. soccer.
Your Band? Jazz ensemble at school, concert band, marching band. and uh I jam with a bunch of people, but I'm looking for some talented musicians that don't play metal. it's tough.

Last edited by J. on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 am

Name: Dave
Faith I am a christian.
Hobbies outside music: Weights, Cycling, Shopping(when you got a girl, you gotta shop), Teaching, Art (up until last year i wanted to be a tattoo artist but i decided music was a better plan)
Drum Brand: I endorse what i play, so PDP. Great Drum Sound, Great Drum Looks, Great Prices. My dream is an Ayotte Kit or DW jazz.
Cymbal whore? Am I???
Favourite Drummer: Far too many to choose one.
Favourite Band/Solo Artist: Are you kidding......Again far too many to choose one.
Favourite Song: At the minute I have 2, "thats what you get" By Paramore and "If I never your face" by Maroon 5.
Favourite Drumming Book: I only have grade books but i plan on seeing waht the craic is with this "Art of Bop Drumming"
Favourite Drumming DVD: I don't own it yet but Benny Greb's Language of Drumming. (aslo, Todd Suchermans Maethods and Mechanics.)
Favourite Movie: Im a Big movie guy so Ill list a "few":
- Saw (the first one, the best by far, gotta love the ending when the dead guy gets up, chills....)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (a classic)
- Zoolander ( never ceases to make me ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!)
- The Wedding Singer
- Big Daddy
- The Dark Knight (favourite movie of last year)
- Phone Booth (clever movie)
Favourite Food: Again, i really like food, i eat it everyday but Pizza, Pasta, or Honey Chilli Chicken stand out. I do all my own cooking its fun.!
Prominent Style/Genre? Christian/Worship and Rock/Alternative
Any other instruments? Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Xylophone, Timpani, I'm a bass in choir so ill say "attempted singing".
Long walks on the beach or a movie? Depends on location, But a walk on the beach is usually followed by a late dinner and a nice movie.
Favourite place: Paris, Andalo (for skiing), i like my hometown (in the summer)
Musical theory or prac.? Both
Your Band I have played in alot over the past 3 or 4 years but currently have a fairly heavy rock thing going on. Church Praise band.
Favourite sport? Rugby, Skiing, used to do triple jump.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by 61'. Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Name: Kyle
Hobbies outside music: Painting, writing
Drum Brand: Craviotto
Cymbal whore? - Not so much. But Dream!
Favourite Drummer: JoJo Mayer, Zac Farro, John Bonham, JJ, Eric Moore III ... listening to alot of R&B so..
Favourite Band: Paramore, The Fray, City and Colour, Alexisonfire, John Mayer, Matthew Good
Favourite Song: Waiting - City and Colour
Favourite Drumming Book: Haven't read much..
Favourite Drumming DVD: Haven't see any, but interested in JoJo Mayer's Very Happy
Favourite Movie: Gone in Sixty Seconds or Walk the Line
Favourite Food: Italian!
Prominent Style/Genre? Funk/Groove. R&B
Any other instruments? Nope.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? Long walk, hands down.
Favourite place: Hmm. New York.
Musical theory or prac.? Practice.. you have to feel.
Your Band? Currently in one, getting out there. Do you want names? We're mainly into acoustics, so alot of City and Colour.
Band Genre: Ouu. Acoustic?
Favourite sport? Nope.
61'.
61'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubber314chicken Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Name: Alex
Hobbies outside music: Um... well, I like cars, and woodworking. I'm also pretty damn good at math and science (not to rub it in but I got 800 on Math II and 740 on Phycs for the SAT subject tests)
Drum Brand: I'm partial to Tama, but I'm pretty much open.
Cymbal whore?: Yes, it must say Sabian on the cymbal. I'd probably pay to get a non sabian rebranded if it wasn't. (or just remove logos?)
Favourite Drummer: JJ Johnson, Rodney Holmes, Neil Peart, Keith Moon, Jason Rullo, Nico McBrain, and Portnoy.
Favourite Band: It vaires alot, but often beteen Aerosmith, DT, Symphony X, Muse, Iron Maiden, and Rush
Favourite Song: Once again varies, but often between Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Honor Thy Fater, The Glass Prison, Run To The Hills, The Trooper, Beat It, Serpent's Kiss, and Seven
Favourite Drumming Book: Don't have any drum books...
Favourite Drumming DVD: Jojo mayer's Secret Weapons. I love his grooves in the transition shots and have incorporated them into my playing a LOT.
Favourite Movie: Umm... To be honest, anythign about music or with Emma Stone/Mila Kunis/Kat Dennings.
Favourite Food: Varies, between Pizza, Chinese and pretzals.
Prominent Style/Genre? Metal? Actually, more like hard rock. But I do a bit of funk. But I like prog metal/rock.
Any other instruments? Guitar, a little bass, and keys but I suck at all of them.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? Umm... What movie?
Favourite place: My room. Its also my "studio" (I say that because I have not recording equpiment but it is sound treated)
Musical theory or prac.? Theory. I'm really really really good with the structure of a song, and then my mind just fills in the blanks as I play.
Your Band? Well, I play in a rock orchestra at my school, and a couple of my friends are trying to dorta start a band I guess.
Band Genre: Rock with a bit of prog. I >3 5/8
Favourite sport? Golf if anything. I don't really care about sports that much.
Rubber314chicken
Rubber314chicken
Admin

https://jjclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't own drumming books, you do know what I mean, yeah? Like educational books ie: The Art of Bop Drumming, Stick Control etc.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skinny. Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:28 pm

Name: Sam.
Hobbies outside music: Existing.
Drum Brand: You all know what I play...
Cymbal whore? Yes. You can never have too many cymbals.
Favourite Drummer: Benny Greb.
Favourite Band: Gatsby's American Dream.
Favourite Song: Really...?
Favourite Drumming Book: I'd rather be playing...
Favourite Drumming DVD: The Language of Drumming.
Favourite Movie: Fight Club.
Favourite Food: I could easily live the rest of my life eating only Subway.
Prominent Style/Genre? Playing wise? Hip-hop/R&B.
Any other instruments? No.
Long walks on the beach or a movie? I hate walking, so movies are good.
Favourite place: Massachusetts.
Musical theory or prac.? Practicing is more fun.
Your Band? I play in a hardcore, fast-tempo project. It's fun.
Band Genre: Yes.
Favourite sport? European soccer is sweet, but I don't play any sports.
Skinny.
Skinny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubber314chicken Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:29 am

Skinny. wrote:Your Band? I play in a hardcore, fast-tempo project. It's fun.

Any demos?

Here is my group:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mno_Ic5tEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx94cJrZiY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnLqWps2goc
Rubber314chicken
Rubber314chicken
Admin

https://jjclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skinny. Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:49 am

Nah, not yet. We're recording realllly soon. Hopefully within the next week or so, if everything goes as planned.
Skinny.
Skinny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Sounds great! Are you recording in a real studio or just doing it yourselves?
I think i possibly enjoy the recording process more than gigs ¡This Cheese is Burning Me! Its a blast!
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum