JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of wood for my new snare?

+3
InSight.
Dave-the-drummer
SKC
7 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 5 Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by Matt Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:45 pm

yeah, and MDF core that's all ready would be a good choice.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 5 Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by SKC Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:32 pm

Wow, this is annoying. The guy that I contacted for a router table top seemed to have never made an invoice for me. I need it, but the darned guy doesn't seem to care. Time to email again, I guess.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Oh yeah, I figured out how much a kit would cost. A standard 4-piece configuration would cost about 900-1100 dollars - give or take on the size of the drums themelves and how expensive the wood is. All drums will come standard with wood hoops and comes with your choice of ISS or RIMS mounting. I will be making a free floating design that will have it's own proprietary mounting system on it. Still in the works, but it's getting there.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:56 pm

how you gonna put an ISS mount on wood hoops??
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Matt wrote:how you gonna put an ISS mount on wood hoops??

oh goodness, I didn't mean ISS mounts, I meant Optimounts. whoops. hahaha.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:07 pm

haha, it's okay, that's kind of what i figured.

I'm interested to see some final products!
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Matt wrote:haha, it's okay, that's kind of what i figured.

I'm interested to see some final products!

Yea im interested to see the final product aswell!
I hope you get a nice router table soon Shawn!
Comes standard with hoops ......, thats a nice sentence, sounds cool.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 pm

Ordered a new router table!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 pm

SWEET!

as i've said already, i'm stoked to see the progress of your drum building.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Matt wrote:SWEET!

as i've said already, i'm stoked to see the progress of your drum building.

Thank you, Matt, that means a lot to me.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm now ordering an HVLP Spray gun, dyes, router bits, new saw, digital angle gauge and alignment calipers... expensive! haha.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:30 pm

damn son, you're doing it large.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm not too inclined to lay out this kind of money... If I do, I'll have spent nearly 1000 bucks on equipment to start up. At least I'll be more legit than Powell "Custom" Drums.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

so wait, have you not spend all that much money on stuff?

I haven't read the whole Powell thread, what's the deal with that "custom" company?
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:23 am

Im also pretty stoked to see you start the building,
I may consider purchasing a small bop sized kit from you if everything turns out well.
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:31 am

Matt - not yet, I only make so much money, especially when I'm saving for college AND pay for bills... I bought a router table, a new router and other nice things to get me going, but I still need to get more things to make this all work. I'm going as fast as I can, haha... At a minimum, I need the calibrations tools, the saw blade and a couple of chamfer bits to get started. I can get the other stuff later.

thread to powell custom drums

Connor - Thanks, man! Tell me what sizes and wood material you want and I'll hook you up with an estimate.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:18 am

Uh, probably like:

20x14
12x8
14x14
Maybe 16x16

Not too exotic of a wood, I dont really know.
with wood hoops.

It would definately be a while before I'd have the funds for this.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:58 am

I like those sizes, a lot Cool
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:32 pm

well, I gathered up all material cost and added in labor and it adds up to 1100 dollars for the 14x20, 12x8 and 14x14. I used walnut as a wood material, Ego lugs and tension rods and ISS mounts for your rack tom. for the additional 16x16 floor tom, it would add up to 1325 dollars. add in a snare with the same wood for 200 more, adding up to 1525 dollars.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:03 pm

Ah,
I wouldnt want a snare, because im pretty pickey when it comes to snare sounds, and I dont think I'd go with the 16" floor tom as this kit would be used almost exclusively for Jazz stuff. As for a mount on the rack tom, I'd probably go with either a RIMS mount over an ISS or just use a snare stand. The floor tom leg mounts wount most likely just be drilled directly to the shell. Walnut sounds like a good choice for wood, although If I was to order this kit, I'd want to look more in depth into the type of wood used. How thick are the shells you plan on making?
Lastly, does the above priace include wood hoops? and heads?

Thanks.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Connor. wrote:Ah,
I wouldnt want a snare, because im pretty pickey when it comes to snare sounds, and I dont think I'd go with the 16" floor tom as this kit would be used almost exclusively for Jazz stuff. As for a mount on the rack tom, I'd probably go with either a RIMS mount over an ISS or just use a snare stand. The floor tom leg mounts wount most likely just be drilled directly to the shell. Walnut sounds like a good choice for wood, although If I was to order this kit, I'd want to look more in depth into the type of wood used. How thick are the shells you plan on making?
Lastly, does the above priace include wood hoops? and heads?

Thanks.

All kits are made standard with wood hoops unless stated otherwise. It cuts cost down for the buyer, even though it's more work for me. Wink I also included head prices in the total cost and I'll fit the drums with what ever you want. Shell are 3/8" thick for the toms; the snare and bass can be either 3/8-5/8" thick.

Crap, I said ISS mounts again... I meant Optimounts, which are the same price as RIMS mounting.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:56 pm

I'd probably go with all 3/8" shells then.
With a RIMS mount.

Are you making your own wood hoops?
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Connor. wrote:I'd probably go with all 3/8" shells then.
With a RIMS mount.

Are you making your own wood hoops?

Yes sir, I am! I make the wood hoops from the same wood species that the drums are made out of.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:03 pm

sweet, stave style woodhoops?
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah, segmented. you pretty much make two stave hoops and offset the seams to make the hoops stronger.

Like this:

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 5 Segmentedjig024
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next