JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+11
SKC
mutt_78
J.
sjman409
Barrett
Ali G
Dave-the-drummer
Connor.
Levi.
Taylor.
Matt
15 posters

Page 19 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Matt Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:43 pm

I played a PHX at Fork's once, it sounded quite nice.

and 2200 bucks is a steal for a PHX kit.

also, Ash, i dig the setup, it looks nice, real nice.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Ali G Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:10 pm

The PHX is a floor model, so no waiting time! haha

That's why its 40% off.

I'm telling you, if I had that kit, I'd never sell it. It would be my baby. hell, nobody would be allowed to play it.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:35 pm

november 17th will be the best day of the entire year.

Battle Studies is coming out.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Matt wrote:november 17th will be the best day of the entire year.

Yay!!!
That makes me ridiculously excited.
I wasn't really expecting him to release by the end of the year.

Speaking of new records... if any of you are Mute Math fans, they released their sophomore album last week. I highly recommend it. Even if you're not a Mute Math fan... Darren King is an absolute BEAST. So I'd say it's worth listening to just to hear that joker play.
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Ali G wrote:The PHX is a floor model, so no waiting time! haha

That's why its 40% off.

I'm telling you, if I had that kit, I'd never sell it. It would be my baby. hell, nobody would be allowed to play it.
If you owned one I'd take a trip to Malaysia I believe Wink
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Also... had a ridiculously long day in the studio today.
Allow me to rant on this for a bit...

Recording an album for some new clients from our church. The songs are good, and she can definitely sing, but they're very new to the studio experience. It's clearly obvious, mostly because they're very picky about what they want, and have a strong idea in their head of how they want the songs to sound. That's all well and good, but they just have no idea how to describe what they're wanting to myself and the other guys recording. All we've got go off of is her original demos. It's basically guesswork, but it seemed to be going fine before.

We spent all day in the studio last Monday, and finished rhythm tracks (drums/bass/keys) for 3 songs. Slow day, but the tracks turned out well. We liked them, they liked them, everybody was happy. So I thought, at least. Then they just had to take the songs home and spend this last week listening to them 400 times each, and decide otherwise.

So they were back this morning, and told us they had decided they wanted us to re-record what we'd already done. So we spent about 9 working today, and only finished two songs. The funny thing is... really, the changes in the new tracks compared to the old ones we did last week are MINIMAL at best. haha. Oh well. Don't get me wrong, they turned out really well, and we had a good time in the studio today... but dang it makes for a long day.

So basically we've spent over 20 hours already, working on this record... and we only have rhythm tracks for 3 songs finished.

Oh yeah... Did I mention this is 12 song album, and we were planning to have EVERYTHING finished up and ready start mixing within 3 session days ? haha. Nooooo way that's gonna happen now.

Regardless... I still have the best job in the world. haha.
Taylor.
Taylor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 am

Taylor. wrote:
Matt wrote:november 17th will be the best day of the entire year.

Yay!!!
That makes me ridiculously excited.
I wasn't really expecting him to release by the end of the year..

Me too, i figured next spring some time, but i'm cool with it coming out in November, i remember Continuum was a Fall Release, september 11th or 12th of 2006. Since it's coming out in Nov, that gives me plenty of time to learn all the songs by next summer, when he will hopefully tour.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32 am

Cajon's DONE!!!

Check it out on the PDF! C

CLICK ME
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 am

That Cajon looks sweet, Connor.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks dude.
Im pretty stoked to finally have it done.

Im gonnna try and do some recordings, or a video sometime.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:15 am

Dang, I'm really scared about having to pay off 2000 dollars for drum building equipment...
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 am

Pffft, you'll get that back in no time. Maybe a bit of time...
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 pm

yuck, i just went a bought my textbooks for the semester.... $613.75

sigh. depressing.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Matt wrote:yuck, i just went a bought my textbooks for the semester.... $613.75

sigh. depressing.

That sucks matt,
I get a loan for all my texts books and the like.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 pm

That's one blessing I've really had, between money I've had saved up, and my parents saving money for college since I was born, I'm going into the first semester of my senior year, and I have zero debt so far.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Matt wrote:That's one blessing I've really had, between money I've had saved up, and my parents saving money for college since I was born, I'm going into the first semester of my senior year, and I have zero debt so far.

That is amazing, I'm proud of you. I love you
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Matt wrote:That's one blessing I've really had, between money I've had saved up, and my parents saving money for college since I was born, I'm going into the first semester of my senior year, and I have zero debt so far.

That is quite the blessing indeed, Matt. I'm really happy for you bro.
That seems almost completely unheard of with most students.
Taylor.
Taylor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 am

Yeah, I mean, I feel terrible, because I know my folks have made sacrifices to make it happen for me, but i've assured them millions of times that somehow someway, i will repay them... maybe not monetarily, but somehow... that's become one of my ambitions in my life now, to truly show my parents how much I appreciate all they've done for me, it'll be hard as hell, but I'll do it somehow.

[/inspiring, precious rant]
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 am

I think the most rewarding thing you could do for them is prove what you have accomplished through attending college, and just what their money has done for you and your life. Make the most of college. I'm sure if I had a child, it would be far more rewarding for my child to attend college and come out successful and really make something of himself, instead of finishing with poor results and nothing much really accomplished, but still to have physically pay me back in later years.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:29 am

yeah, i know, that's what they always say, "that it'll pay off when they see me walk across and graduate" but i still can't help but to feel a bit guilty.

in other news...

Dream has yet to email me back about exchanging the cymbal thru Fork's, i emailed him like 6 days ago, i'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the situation.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:54 am

Considering it's been almost a week and you still haven't heard anything, I'd probably follow up again and resend the email. Couldn't hurt.
Taylor.
Taylor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Matt wrote:
Dream has yet to email me back about exchanging the cymbal thru Fork's, i emailed him like 6 days ago, i'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the situation.

That sucks matt, Im annoyed about my 19" bliss aswell, it is STILL not here and the company haven't got back me yet. they said it would be 2-3 days at the 26th of june. then it was out of stock and they said 2 weeks on the 1st of july then on the 7th of august they said i would have it in 7-10 days. On the 11th of august they took the money.

They have had my money for like 2 weeks and i have NO cymbal, and NO sign of it beign dispatched.

Im asking for my money back.

Rant over.

In other news i made up a sexy groove today, ill transcribe it later for y'all.
And in other news i finally got thomas lands CC dvd, its awesome, a little above my level but its a step by step guide and im taking a few months off from doing grades etc to really practice all the basic steps and get them really solid.

Also to those who say thomas can't groove this DVD really really proves them wrong, he has some performances through out and i was shocked (in a good way) to see that most of his performances were groove based, his solos were not groove based more showcasing his freakin awesome limb independance etc but he really really does have a super tight pocket.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:13 pm

I just sent Andy another email... we'll see how long it takes to get a response, but between work and classes starting monday, i don't know when i'd be able to get down to Fork's.

rant:

last weekend my roommates moved in, we had a party, i ended up waaay too inebriated and i ended up having a young lady stay the night... what i didn't know until the next day, is that apparently said young lady is kind of easy. why no one told me this before hand, i don't know... well, now, she keeps on trying to send me messages to hang out and "snuggle" more, and i'm just not into her like that once my friends told me about her being easy.... i wouldn't mind just being friends, but i don't think that's how she wants it to be....

/rant
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Groove or no groove, I've always enjoyed Thomas's playing. He really gets into some crazy stuff, I have Creative Coordination & AFT, I worked through it for awhile. Lost interest really, I mean, I don't mind learning doing a polyrhythm of 5's over doubles, or triplets, but where it would benefit my drumming I didn't quite see. Though from the time I did work on it, it greatly improved my coordination from where it was previous to working through it. But it does do your head in at times, ha! Right now I am looking back through it looking for some tasteful foot ostinatos to work on and do some grooves over. But I may look back into it, I'm doing some, for what is pretty difficult and involves some coordination and rewiring of the brain for me, comping on the hats and keeping time by feathering the kick.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Woah, Im used to feathering the kick, but not comping with the hats.
Im so used to playing hats on 2 & 4 and comping with the hands. As are you im assuming.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next