First Hardware thread.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First Hardware thread.

Post by Dave-the-drummer on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 pm

What do you guys prefer and why ?
Single Braced?
Double Braced?
Flat base?
Im a double braced guy mostly, i use my single braced stands for add on cymbals really but i mount all my toms of stands so i put my faith in double braced hardware not to collapse under the weight of:
-a 10" tom
-12" tom
-a 17" crash
-(sometimes a 6" splash aswell) all on 1 stand.

_________________
I am DAVE.
avatar
Dave-the-drummer

Posts : 692
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Connor. on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 pm

I prefer double braced for rock/metal stuff.
Flat based for Jazz stuff for sure.

However, I 95% prfer double braced snare stands, Hihats im not super pickey about.
avatar
Connor.

Posts : 303
Join date : 2009-06-18

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by J. on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:40 pm

double braced currently.
flat, single base soon!
avatar
J.

Posts : 646
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Whitey on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:06 pm

J. wrote:double braced currently.
flat, single base soon!
Yo.
avatar
Whitey

Posts : 41
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Rubber314chicken on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:26 pm

I uses the tama roadpro series.

_________________
Tama Rockstar 6 piece. Sabian Cymbals
avatar
Rubber314chicken
Admin

Posts : 264
Join date : 2009-06-17

http://jjclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by sjman409 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:11 pm

yeah road pros all the way
avatar
sjman409

Posts : 363
Join date : 2009-06-17

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Whitey on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:07 am

I've got whatever Pearl's bottom of the line double braced series is. For being bottom of the line they're pretty damn great.
Edit: I'm not sure if they're bottom of the line anymore. Looking at their site mine seem to be a step up from their C-70s. Still, they were the cheapest Pearls they had at Guitar Center when I bought them.
avatar
Whitey

Posts : 41
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:44 am

Currently I'm using Pearls Flat-base hardware. Double-braced snare and hi-hat stand however. And it will stay that way, I'm only really interested in flat-base cymbal stands.
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Levi. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:27 am

I prefer double braced. Right now I'm using Gibraltar 5000 series stands. I don't think you could get a better weight:sturdiness ratio. Really, I don't see how anyone could need anything more study than these stands, unless they were mounting heaps of toms and cymbals off them.

Actually, I do have a Gibraltar Flatbase snare stand for my side snare. It's also incredibly sturdy, and lightweight too.
avatar
Levi.

Posts : 235
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by sjman409 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:33 am

yeah it just seems like double-braced is so much sturdier
avatar
sjman409

Posts : 363
Join date : 2009-06-17

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:45 am

sjman409 wrote:yeah it just seems like double-braced is so much sturdier
I don't see the logic, however. The whole "double-braced is more sturdy" to me seems like a stereotype that we've created over time. Double-braced stands will generally seem more sturdy due to their weight. These stands are remarkably heavy, especially compared to the once standard in hardware; flat-based.
The weight on a straight-stand is evenly distributed down the pipe joint, which is the centre spectrum. You will receive some (with the exception of the floor material) wobble by a simply push, and the only way a double braced can be superior over this is once again their weight + gravity. obviously something of a higher weight will be exceptionally sturdier than something of a less, for example a brick and foam.
If you have a cymbal boomed out, it will withstand everyday playing. Whereas so will a flat-based stand. Their is no logic; the legs protrude to the same extend as a double-braced, they are constructed the same as a normal double-braced stand, and they are easier with transport, generally very cheap, good-looks, and they are easy to position around the kit.
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Levi. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:52 am

InSight. wrote:
I don't see the logic, however. The whole "double-braced is more sturdy" to me seems like a stereotype that we've created over time. Double-braced stands will generally seem more sturdy due to their weight. These stands are remarkably heavy, especially compared to the once standard in hardware; flat-based.
The weight on a straight-stand is evenly distributed down the pipe joint, which is the centre spectrum. You will receive some (with the exception of the floor material) wobble by a simply push, and the only way a double braced can be superior over this is once again their weight + gravity. obviously something of a higher weight will be exceptionally sturdier than something of a less, for example a brick and foam.
If you have a cymbal boomed out, it will withstand everyday playing. Whereas so will a flat-based stand. Their is no logic; the legs protrude to the same extend as a double-braced, they are constructed the same as a normal double-braced stand, and they are easier with transport, generally very cheap, good-looks, and they are easy to position around the kit.

Yeah, good points Ash. One of the best things about flatbase is how easy it is to position them. But if you have a few flatbase close together, it could get a bit tricky. But that's the same as if you have a few double braced stands close together too.
avatar
Levi.

Posts : 235
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Matt on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:06 am

I use double braced stands right now, and probably will for some time to come.
avatar
Matt

Posts : 1163
Join date : 2009-06-18

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:12 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote:
I don't see the logic, however. The whole "double-braced is more sturdy" to me seems like a stereotype that we've created over time. Double-braced stands will generally seem more sturdy due to their weight. These stands are remarkably heavy, especially compared to the once standard in hardware; flat-based.
The weight on a straight-stand is evenly distributed down the pipe joint, which is the centre spectrum. You will receive some (with the exception of the floor material) wobble by a simply push, and the only way a double braced can be superior over this is once again their weight + gravity. obviously something of a higher weight will be exceptionally sturdier than something of a less, for example a brick and foam.
If you have a cymbal boomed out, it will withstand everyday playing. Whereas so will a flat-based stand. Their is no logic; the legs protrude to the same extend as a double-braced, they are constructed the same as a normal double-braced stand, and they are easier with transport, generally very cheap, good-looks, and they are easy to position around the kit.

Yeah, good points Ash. One of the best things about flatbase is how easy it is to position them. But if you have a few flatbase close together, it could get a bit tricky. But that's the same as if you have a few double braced stands close together too.
Yeah, except another up-side to a flat-base stand is the possibility to covert them from the flat approach to the 'arch' approach. Meaning, if having a mixture of the two position is even more easier.
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Dave-the-drummer on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:54 am

I just doubt, that flat base is really as stursy as my double braced stuff, i mean maybe it is but im far happier trusting a thick heavy bulky db stand holding up my toms and boomed out cymbals as opposed to a slender skinny thing. I mean if you stand on a twig it snaps, if you stand on brick it doesn't. sapling it will die, if you stand on a thick tree trunk it will hold up your weight.
I know flat base is surprisingly sturdy but for me db takes the win.


Last edited by Dave-the-drummer on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total

_________________
I am DAVE.
avatar
Dave-the-drummer

Posts : 692
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:21 am

Dave-the-drummer wrote:I just doubt, that flat base is really as stursy as my double braced stuff, i mean maybe it is but im far happier trusting a thick heavy bulky db stand holding up my toms and boomed out cymbals as opposed to a slender skinny thing. I mean if you stand on a twig it snaps, if you stand on brick it doesn't. stand on a sapling it will die, stand on a think tree trunk it holds your weight.
I know flat base is surprisingly sturdy but foe me db takes the win.
yes, if you stand on a twig it will snap, if you stand on a brick it will withhold your weight. But to compare a flat-base stand with a double-braced stand by saying 'a stick and a brick' is not a very well thought out statement. They're made of the same material, I bet you'd have just as much trouble snapping a BC-100S (Pearl flat-base stand) as you would a BC-2000 (Pearl heavy-duty, double-braced stand).

I'm totally cool with you and others enjoying their double-braced hardware over a flat-base, single-braced stand. I'm just trying to get it out to people that these stands aren't made of plastic, or Jello. They are legit, they are sturdy, just as sturdy as you need a stand to be. Sure, they may have their down-sides, but they sure do make it up with their up-sides. Same with a regular double-braced stand. Numerous factors, and I mentioned all the up-sides to a flat-base stand in a pervious post.
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Dave-the-drummer on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:37 am

Ash, im not doubting you, you really love your flat base gear but for me i mount 2 toms a 17" crash and a splash all of one stand, and i just feel happier doing that on a Double braced stand. DB just works for me, whereas FB works for you. I get virtually no wobble at all from my stand with the 2 toms crash (boomed out) and splash(boomed out a wee bit) on it , but i imagine a flat base would wobble alot under that pressure. Just my opinion.

_________________
I am DAVE.
avatar
Dave-the-drummer

Posts : 692
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:55 am

Okay, fair enough. I just didn't think comparing a Flat-base single braced stand with a double-braced stand by saying the FB was a stick and the DB was a brick. They are virtually the same concept, just a different construction. My 10" is mounted off my flat-base, remember, this is yet to have a cymbal, so minus quite a bit of weight. And it has very little wobble to it, it will however wobble if you apply force to the tom such a powerful strike, or a rim click flam including the tom and snare. But VERY sturdy, and I want to get it out there.
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Dave-the-drummer on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:23 am

Yea i mean i would be happy to mount a 10" tom off an FB and trust it not too wobble too much but NEVER two toms and two cymbals off an FB, ITS 100% guaranteed to wobble more a DB in that context!
If i had a 4 peice like you and had smaller a 10" tom i would always mount it off my kick but IF i had a virgin kick with a 4 piece and a 10" tom then yes i would give FB a fair run for its money!
Also to aid your argument im sure you paid less than half the price i would have paid for my DB's (mine were FREE thank goodness or i would have paid ALOT).
I just think FB has its place and DB has its place.

EDIT: To further aid your argument, im breaking my back everytime a take my hardware to gig where as you can probably barely feel yours! (back to twigs and bricks haha twigs are lighter than bricks )

_________________
I am DAVE.
avatar
Dave-the-drummer

Posts : 692
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:36 am

Yeah, although I wouldn't like have two toms and two cymbals off any stand. But I'd be semi-confident with a FB with it. Though there are many variables.

I paid around the amount of a B-70. So that gives you a good idea, perhaps even a bit less maybe.

The Pearls actually weigh more than their competitors (being the Gibraltar and DW). Though this isn't necessarily a bad heavy, it's still far lighter than any normal double-braced stand.
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by J. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:20 pm

I have enough money for flatbase stands yo! just gotta order them soemtime.

_________________
Fream.
avatar
J.

Posts : 646
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:34 am

You're going Gibraltar aren't you?
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by J. on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:35 am

yup!

_________________
Fream.
avatar
J.

Posts : 646
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by InSight. on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:36 am

Pearl ftw.
avatar
InSight.

Posts : 777
Join date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by J. on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:42 am

InSight. wrote:Pearl ftw.
no thanks. gibraltar's cheaper. for me.

_________________
Fream.
avatar
J.

Posts : 646
Join date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: First Hardware thread.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum