JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+15
Connor.
Charles.
Levi.
Per
Whitey
Ali G
InSight.
Matt
sjman409
Skinny.
Fat Tim
Rotation 4
J.
Dave-the-drummer
Rubber314chicken
19 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 am

well then let me be the first to welcome you to the brain child of a punch of pissed of people!

haha but good to see you around here tay.
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:21 am

what up tay.

Oh and matt you reminded me to call my friend because he knows this trumpet player and we were going to hopefully jam in the near future, in fact we might actually have a 6 piece jam session which would be sweet. drums, guitar, bass, trumpet, trombones, sax.
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:24 am

what type of music?
ska?
blues?
funk jam?
etc?
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:25 am

all encompassing. basically whatever feels good at the moment
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:27 am

Thanks dudes.
I'm starting to like it here already.

One question though... what is this 'money' statistic that I'm seeing with the user info ? I'm assuming it's like another form of rep ? Just curious.

I feel like a total n00b asking this. haha.
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:28 am

yea its just auto-rep theres a thread about it somewhere
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:30 am

its pretty much monopoly money
cool to have alot of it
but not really worth much...

and sam thats sounds cool ive always wanted to have just a random jam
with guitars bass and a horn section.
then again i want to jam with an upright bass too...
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:31 am

yeah i dont think the bassist will bring his upright, since its just too much of a hassle
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:34 am

true that.
ive always wanted to have just a small jazz kit
with some brushes and rods and just have a jam with a piano player
and upright bass.
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:34 am

that'd be sweet
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:34 am

sam -- sounds like a sick jam session.

i think i'm just going to record audio tomorrow instead of video... we'll see how that works out....
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:35 am

it will probably be better quality. upload it when your done. well im off to finish spanish
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:41 am

yeah, well i mean, i'm still just going to be using the built in microphone on my macbook, but we'll see....
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:44 am

that thing is surprisingly well for just a mini mic built in.
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:53 am

yeah, compared to other mics in other laptops i've heard the one in macs are pretty nice... we'll find out tomorrow!!
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:59 am

good luck matt

are you going to post your creations on here?
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:08 am

yeah, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually, yes.

the plan is...

- take a few short recordings from different places in the room, see what place sounds the best....
- press record, and record for an entire jam session, i'm hoping this will reduce the infamous camera fright, that way the jams will be more natural, and hopefully of a better quality...
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:27 am

Sounds like fun Matt. I've never actually recorded any of my jams. They sort of just happen at band practice. I'll start playing something, then the bassist joins in, then the guitarist. But it only goes good when we don't plan it. If we say to ourselves, OK lets have a jam, it never feels right.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 am

The mic on the macbooks are ridiculous for drums, even the mic on my iPod headphones is far, far better.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:47 am

man, I had a really good jam at school today. And band practice last night wasn't too bad, rather frustrating however, for reasons I won't share.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat Tim Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:47 am

Levi. wrote:Sounds like fun Matt. I've never actually recorded any of my jams. They sort of just happen at band practice. I'll start playing something, then the bassist joins in, then the guitarist. But it only goes good when we don't plan it. If we say to ourselves, OK lets have a jam, it never feels right.

this is exactly what happens to my band...it cant be planned. usually we will morph from warming-up into a sweet jam that can last for like a half hour, but we never plan it. and when we do plan it, it sounds terrible.
Fat Tim
Fat Tim

http://www.myspace.com/informantska

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:51 am

Fat Tim wrote:
Levi. wrote:Sounds like fun Matt. I've never actually recorded any of my jams. They sort of just happen at band practice. I'll start playing something, then the bassist joins in, then the guitarist. But it only goes good when we don't plan it. If we say to ourselves, OK lets have a jam, it never feels right.

this is exactly what happens to my band...it cant be planned. usually we will morph from warming-up into a sweet jam that can last for like a half hour, but we never plan it. and when we do plan it, it sounds terrible.
Same here, it just 'happens'. Although not so much with my current band, hence why I'm most likely going to quit. They just can't jam, and in my eyes that is a very important aspect of music.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:56 am

Fat Tim wrote:

Yeah. It always normally happens right at the start of practice, and most of them go for 20-30mins. For like the first minute or so, we don't really know if we're just messing around or if someones going to stop soon. After it's been going for a while, when it does stop it's always a little saddening.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:59 am

InSight. wrote:
Same here, it just 'happens'. Although not so much with my current band, hence why I'm most likely going to quit. They just can't jam, and in my eyes that is a very important aspect of music.

When I first started playing, I thought jamming would be too hard. But once you start, and it feels good, I always play better than if we were playing a normal song

I imagine jamming would be fairly difficult for a guitarist. There's so many different directions you can go with a guitar.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:08 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote:

When I first started playing, I thought jamming would be too hard. But once you start, and it feels good, I always play better than if we were playing a normal song

I imagine jamming would be fairly difficult for a guitarist. There's so many different directions you can go with a guitar.
So do I. I think it's a real strength of mine, improvisation, especially being drummers we do a lot of this. I know that I've only learnt a limited amount of mainstream songs note for note, most of which I have since forgotten. The rest being book studies etc.

Yeah, but it's more than just that. They have trouble fitting a guitar part into a normal 4/4 bar. The fill either runs too long, or breaks are off. I've tried working through it, but it's difficult, and they're having a lot of trouble. I mean, some songs I'm doing 7/4, and some just have a very odd snare pattern on off-beats.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next