JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+15
Connor.
Charles.
Levi.
Per
Whitey
Ali G
InSight.
Matt
sjman409
Skinny.
Fat Tim
Rotation 4
J.
Dave-the-drummer
Rubber314chicken
19 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Ali G Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:15 am

J. wrote:I can't stand watching anyone play my kit at all. I don't really care who it is. It's like watching someone makeout with your girlfriend.

I see this is moving as fast as the old JJ thread. Very Happy

I hate seeing people play my kit. I allow people to play my kit, but everytime they crash my crashes or even shoulder my hi-hats hard, it makes my heart ache.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:34 am

Ali G wrote:
J. wrote:I can't stand watching anyone play my kit at all. I don't really care who it is. It's like watching someone makeout with your girlfriend.

I see this is moving as fast as the old JJ thread. Very Happy

I hate seeing people play my kit. I allow people to play my kit, but everytime they crash my crashes or even shoulder my hi-hats hard, it makes my heart ache.
Either do I. Unless I have a vast respect for that individual. I just can't stand it.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:39 am

Like the vast respect you have for me, Ash?
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:56 am

Levi. wrote:Like the vast respect you have for me, Ash?
No, I you wouldn't have the privilege of playing my drums. I've seen you play, you hit like travis barker, in other words, an ape.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:04 am

Could I play your kit? heh.

I'd kill to have your artisan.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 am

Ali G wrote:Could I play your kit? heh.

I'd kill to have your artisan.
No, nobody can ever play my kit. EVER.

That's not good Shocked
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:11 am

InSight. wrote:
No, I you wouldn't have the privilege of playing my drums. I've seen you play, you hit like travis barker, in other words, an ape.

Hey, I'm working on my technique. I haven't even dislocated my shoulder in 3 days. And what would you know? It's called playing with emotion.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote:

Hey, I'm working on my technique. I haven't even dislocated my shoulder in 3 days. And what would you know? It's called playing with emotion.
So, did you give up the baseball batts?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:16 am

Sad
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 am

InSight. wrote:

Not just yet.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:59 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote:

Not just yet.
Well, you've at least made the transition from steel to wood, right?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:04 am

So, is this forum real slow for everybody, or is my internet acting up? Actually, I think it's my internet right now.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 am

InSight. wrote:

Yeah, just recently.

Anyway, enough of this crazy talk.

Did anyone else (I know you did Ash) see iDylan's refinished Catalina Mod on PDF? I think that I may just do the same thing with mine. I'm just a little afraid that if I take the wrap off, I'll be left with some really hideous looking wood. What does everyone else reckon?

Last edited by Levi. on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:14 am

InSight. wrote:So, is this forum real slow for everybody, or is my internet acting up? Actually, I think it's my internet right now.

Don't worry, it's happening to me too.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote:

Yeah, just recently.

Anyway, enough of this crazy talk.

Did anyone else (I know you did Ash) see iDylan's refinished Catalina Mod on PDF? I think that I may just do the same thing with mine. I'm just a little afraid that if I take the wrap off, I'll be left with some really hideous looking wood. What does everyone else reckon?
Would the outer-plies on yours be Poplar or Basswood? I believe both could pull it off, with a proper stain, of course. I mean, look was Sam did, that was just poplar. I wish I could do something similar, damn lacquer. What would you apply over top?

Also, he did a great job didn't he. It came out excellent, and the dark over-all shade definitely grew on me quickly.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:46 am

I'd wanna refinish my drums. I'd just do a plain white, or plain black. like a Piano Black or Piano White or whatever.

But I don't exactly know how.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:24 am

I'm content with the finish of kit for now, if i ever decided to refinish, it would probably be a sparkle...

re: Jams -- i mean, we don't plan out like what kind of jams or anything, usually one of will start playing something, then the other come in and then it just goes from there....
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 am

Fat Tim wrote:
Levi. wrote:Sounds like fun Matt. I've never actually recorded any of my jams. They sort of just happen at band practice. I'll start playing something, then the bassist joins in, then the guitarist. But it only goes good when we don't plan it. If we say to ourselves, OK lets have a jam, it never feels right.

this is exactly what happens to my band...it cant be planned. usually we will morph from warming-up into a sweet jam that can last for like a half hour, but we never plan it. and when we do plan it, it sounds terrible.

When I have jams it all depends on the mix of people. if i'm playing with a bunch of people from my school's jazz band, then we sound great jamming, because we jam everyday during the school year. If its someone that I don't usually play with then it can sometimes be harder to jam because its harder to comp over someone when you don't know their little habits
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 am

i tend to treat both situations the same
ill lay down a pretty simple beat in four
and if they flow with me ill add some stuff and just make it an odyssey of sorts
if they dont flow then ill keep my beat going and let them try to get comfortable and in the groove.
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:00 pm

yea i just find it harder to groove when I we jame over 6/8 or 6/4. I don't know why. I mean I'm comfortable with it normally, but when it comes to improv, i just choke
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:05 pm

I hate jamming and people ask "What songs do you know how to play?"

I'd rather just improv, and kick up the jams.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotation 4 Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:05 pm

i use to have that issue
i would get behind my set and my bass player would throw down a funky 6/8 groove and id come in and just trip up and ruin the vibe.
i just broke the mindset when i would force myself to just play some simple 6/8 beats on my set and just play it over and over and over untill im pretty sure i was counting triplets in my sleep.
fixed the problem of drumming, sleep talking still working out.
Rotation 4
Rotation 4

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Rotation 4 wrote:i use to have that issue
i would get behind my set and my bass player would throw down a funky 6/8 groove and id come in and just trip up and ruin the vibe.
i just broke the mindset when i would force myself to just play some simple 6/8 beats on my set and just play it over and over and over untill im pretty sure i was counting triplets in my sleep.
fixed the problem of drumming, sleep talking still working out.

haha yeah. I'm trying to get some 6/8 afro cuban stuff down right now. Its hard.
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi guys,

Wow you guys talked alot while i was gone! The weather sucked today so once again i couldn't go get my new cymbals Sad Im really annoyed about that!

Anyways, welcome Tay, glad you joined us! If you want your kit in the poll make a thread of your kit or post it in the gallery and ill add it in! If not be sure to enter next month, which may not be kit of the month ! I have taken matts idea on bored, could be cymbals of the month, snare, or finish of the month!
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 pm

That sucks about th cymbals, hopefully tomorrow then.
sjman409
sjman409

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next