JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+12
Per
Connor.
Ali G
Skinny.
sjman409
J.
SKC
Levi.
Dave-the-drummer
InSight.
Matt
L'Astronaut
16 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Matt Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 pm

shoooo

i remember the band camp weeks they were the best worst weeks ever. haha
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by J. Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:59 pm

I love every minute of it.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Dave-the-drummer wrote:
SKC wrote:

Hey, you're almost in the same boat as me.... I hate my life right now.

Quite the optimist i see.
Just think you could start the next big drum company, thats a nice thought.

And yes matt you a "bamf" (even though i have no idea what that is, im guessing Bad butt Mo Fo, but i dunno ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!)

I'm getting better, though, so I'm becoming more optimistic! I think today is gonna be a good day compared to the last few I've had.

If I become a big drum company, that would be a miracle. then again, miracles happen, just like today for me. Very Happy
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Matt, you are close but not close enough.
I got a Russ Miller jingle wedge. Pretty snazzy little piece of percussion ill be using it as a rimshot enhancer rather than a cross stick enhancer (for the most part) can't wait to get it here and on my snare along with my dream, the jazz will be flowing through me. Expensive lil bugger though, $92 (£56) you americans are so lucky. But mega win for me as my girlfriend just got home from holiday! Yay!

Also i got some really good movie making software so once i get my kit sounding sexy again ill pop some videos up.

Has any one seen the video by benny greb called "just great grooves". i think my first video will be like that. Some different set ups and different styles all put into some short clips then merged into a video.
Im not gonna try and showcase my playing or amaze you guys with chops or anything, just gonna lay down some different beats and styles for funzorz.
Then ill do some covers in the future.

Also for next months(well maybe next month) competition, it will be best drummer BUT THERE ARE RULES!
We all play the same piece and play our own interpertation of the song, best interperation wins. Video entry only, i want to see you play.
So we will use the next 2 weeks or so to decide on a piece, anyone have any nice tracks they want to share?

Last edited by Dave-the-drummer on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Also shawn im glad you have cheered up!
Maybe you should buy some new paistes that might work. Or i have heard through the grapevine that "giving brings much happiness" so i was just thinking you have some great rides, like that giant beat. Why don't you give it to me? You will be rewarded tenfold haha!

Check it:
The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 37 Russ2010

http://www.russmiller.com/v5/media/photos/lg/OakkitonDrPhilShow.jpg

http://www.russmiller.com/v5/images/kits/aqua.jpg

Just really posted it for the DAXDAD and the Kick Reso.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 pm

I would, but I kind of need it, hahaha.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Awe, man, I'm gonna have to try this video thing out.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Hahaha, yea you might aswell, its not really about who's the winner IMO, the reason why its video is to really see whats happening so that we can all learn from each other and help each other out.
Plus its just cool to see other players.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:55 pm

hopefully I'm good enough for you guys. I've only been playing for about three years on the set.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Im sure you will be, we like it simple and steady around here anyways, its all about the groove, feel and musicality. I only started at 13 (im 18 in 2 weeks) so i have only been playing for like 5 years, we are all young and still learning (well we will always be learning) on here so don't worry.

Which reminds me i may be doing a small clinic soon Smile its in the planning stages but still i think its pretty cool.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:59 pm

¡This Cheese is Burning Me!, obviously I didn't really hammer it.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:28 am

Ali G wrote:¡This Cheese is Burning Me!, obviously I didn't really hammer it.

I coudn't imagine hammering any of my good cymbals. I'm scared to touch my Dreams, let alone a Legacy.

And also, I started playing drums seriously at about 15, but I was messing around on them for a few years before that. I think most of you guys will kick my butt in terms of skill. I guess I'm alright, but I know that I could be so much better.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:37 am

Man, I don't know if i'll be able to create a decent entry, I guess if push comes to shove, i could do it on my ekit... lame.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:47 am

I suppose the e-kit will be better than nothing, Matt.

Also, my sticks came in today, Pro-Mark SD1s. They have a larger ball tip than the SD2s that I was using, and I wasn't too keen on that when I saw them. But playing around with them, they still sound good on the cymbals. They feel good too, a bit heavier than the SD2s, and they've got a longer reach, which is great. I can see myself really liking these.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:37 am

Dave-the-drummer wrote:
Also for next months(well maybe next month) competition, it will be best drummer BUT THERE ARE RULES!
We all play the same piece and play our own interpertation of the song, best interperation wins. Video entry only, i want to see you play.
So we will use the next 2 weeks or so to decide on a piece, anyone have any nice tracks they want to share?

I'm game!

well are going to be judged on chops? groove?
because I mean I'm not gonna sit here and hold down a pocket if you guys are going to shred. maybe a song that has a nice sold groove, but then has like a section for chopping out??
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:47 am

sounds pretty cool to me
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:13 am

I don't think I'm going to be able to enter. I lack a camera, and I don't think I'd have the patience to sync it up and do all the other stuff on the computer. But I look forward to seeing everyone's entries.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 am

Sweet, I'm in!

I've been playing for only like 18 months but it'll be fun. Very Happy
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:35 am

dang ali!
you're off to a great start in druming!
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Dave-the-drummer wrote:

If you think holding a pocket is what the piece needs then thats what you do, if you feel it needs a 2-3 clave foot ostinato with the left hand playing 32nd bounce triplets with a dotted quaver override on the ride bell then thats what you do haha.
Its all down to musical interperation. Just be yourself let your own unique style shine through, be tasteful and musical.
Pretend you are auditioning, what would you do in that situation. Hope that helps.

EDIT: Also i like sections for chops sometimes but for me thats kinda like cheating, i think a good drummer can be subtle and work their chops into their playing nicely, having a section is easy as you can just chop out like there is no tomorrow but IMO it takes more skill to work a little chop into a fill and land it back into the groove seamlessly rather than have a section apart from the rest of the song to chop out. Like JJ said its all about moments.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:15 pm

yeah good points.

how about since this is the JJ forum, we do voting based on purely groove? like who's pocket is most solid? who's the grooviest? so nothing chop based at all...

that could be really cool.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:24 pm

On Jeffrey's suggestion: I think it would be better to just be judged as an overall thing.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:28 pm

No, it needs to be ALL chops...
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Well it'll be voted by the members of this forum anyway, so it'll be persona preference.

BTW: I had my third gig last saturday!

Here's a pic of my band on stage!

The profit from the concert went to AIDS and HIV benefit. Smile

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1T06OxevWWo/Slict20m2sI/AAAAAAAABPg/j2bO7AOjigw/s1600-h/iuday.jpg
The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 37 Iuday
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:52 pm

heres my facebook album with the pictures of the new cymbal.

It's a public album, so it should be viewable.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=94417&id=814321660&l=c5f3a49582
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next