JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+11
SKC
mutt_78
J.
sjman409
Barrett
Ali G
Dave-the-drummer
Connor.
Levi.
Taylor.
Matt
15 posters

Page 37 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Ali G Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Cool stuff guys! the 9000 series pedals are crazy expensive here. Around 700++ USD for a double!

Anyways, I've been into a bunch of swing/jazz kind of drumming lately, and found my Evolution ride was too bright and pingy (not earth ride pingy, but pretty pingy) And replaced it on my setup with my 17" Turk Crash as my main ride for swing! It's cool, really, I never really realized how great it is as a ride for light, jazz combo kind of drumming. It's very dry and has a slight trashyness, and DARK for a 17", and surprisingly works very well as a ride. Kind of like a smaller, higher pitched version of my Crash of Doom. Smile
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Matt Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:35 pm

good news -- it's a 22" medium ride, he's sending pics tonight, it'd be really sweet if i could somehow swap it for a crash of doom or maybe some other cymbal... although, i may like it, it's basically a 22" sweet ride more or less.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Cool Ali, Sounds like a darker version of my exotic crash (the one with the raw bell). I think those turks look great, they aren't sold over here but from soundfiles and videos i think i like them. On the topic of jazz though, My favourite pure jazz ride is the K hd ride, absolute beast for jazz and blues not great for anything else IMO but i love it, my teacher owns one and i will one one someday (i hope). My ping ride suffices at the minute though as its really really versatile sounds good in just about anything.

If you like it keep it Matt, they are nice cymbals its a win/win for you either way as im sure you could swap it for money off something nice.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:16 pm

There's really no point in spiltting my 7000 into two singles, as I've only used the single for the past couple years. I can probably trade/sell my 7000 double and get a 9000 single without too much of a hit to my wallet.

The Turk crash sounds neat Ali, sounds like you dig it.

On the topic of jazz rides, I'll say that my favorite are Istanbul's (Agop Trad., Epoch, Mel, Sig etc), or Istanbul K Zildjians. My teacher has a 22" Istanbul K that is an absolutely amazing cymbals.
I have yet to play any, but must say that Spizzichino cymbals are ideal jazz rides in my opinion from what I've heard.
The ride offerings from the big 4 manufacturers of cymbals these days don't apeal to me so much except for a few things
(K Con/Custom, Byzance Jazz)

Edit: Forgot to mention something.

Soeaking of rides, I did a temprary ride swap with a friend of mine a few days ago. I gave him my 20" K Custom Dry Light in exchange for his 20" K Constantinople Medium-Thin High. The trade could become permanent if both parties are satisfied, and I must say I am. The K Con is exactly what I've been looking for in a left side jazz crash/ride. Pretty thin, with an excellent crash and a woody stick. The stick get drowned out by the wash when playing fast patterns which is pretty much opposite of my Dream DE but it's perfect for slower stuff.
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Connor. wrote:
On the topic of jazz rides, I'll say that my favorite are Istanbul's (Agop Trad., Epoch, Mel, Sig etc), or Istanbul K Zildjians. My teacher has a 22" Istanbul K that is an absolutely amazing cymbals.
I have yet to play any, but must say that Spizzichino cymbals are ideal jazz rides in my opinion from what I've heard.
The ride offerings from the big 4 manufacturers of cymbals these days don't apeal to me so much except for a few things
(K Con/Custom, Byzance Jazz).

Agreed istanbul make some nice cymbals as do bosphorus (stanton moore series) and diril etc.
But for me persoanlly im a zildjian guy (that being said i still really want a bettis custom ride someday). I just think for me and my sound zildjian seems to have it covered for what i like, also they have my favourite looking logo haha.

My dream cymbal collection would be:

Rides:
20" Avedis Ping Ride (anything)
19" Avedis Beautiful Baby ride (anything)

21" A Custom Sweet Ride (pop setting)
19" Z Custom Thrash Ride (pop setting)
24" K light ride (pop setting)

22" K Custom HD Ride (jazz/blues)
22" K Constantinople Hi bell thin high/low Ride (blues)
20" K Constantinople Ride (jazz)
20" K constantinople flat ride w/2 rivets (jazz)

Hats:
15" New beats (anything)
16" K lights (w/ riveted bottom hi hat) (blues)
12" A custom mastersounds (pop) (remote hats)
18" combo of breakbeat ride bottom and K dark crash top (ronnie vannucci hats) (pop)

I would also like some crashes and splashes/chinas but IMO, those sounds and tones pretty much have everything covered, mic'd and un-mic'd situations. Chosen based on sounds that some of my favourite artists use live and in studio and others based on personal experience. I would probably never use all those cymbals but i would love to be in a situation where i had them there if i needed them haha.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Right now, my dream collection would probably be (not including the cymbals I already own)

20" K Constantinople Thin Hi-Bell Ride Low
20" K Custom Special Dry Ride
21" Fierce Ride
22" Agop Epoch Ride
24" K Light
24" OM ride
22" Agop Signature Ride

13" Zildjian Special Dry hats
14" 1960s New Beats (I'd really love a pair of these!)
17/18" Crash hats (one day I'll find my own perfect combo)
15" Istanbul Agop OM hats

ahhhhhh.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:37 pm

I reckon the 24" K light will be in everybody's dream list haha ^^

Of my list the ones i think i would get most use out of would be :
15" new beats
19" beautiful baby
20" Constantinople/22" HD Ride

I reckon that combo could tackle most situations.
I really love the feel of my 15" hi hats, i don't think i could ever go smaller now. There is just so much more tone and meat to the 15's and the feel on my foot just feels more balanced and natural, not to mention the 'chick' can be massive if needs be.

So anybody working on anything new? Im really pumped for my grade 8 on tuesday (its just a piece of paper which states that i am of that standard but it may come in handy for gigs/jobs/uni etc.) then will come task of diploma which suggests some weckl pieces (yikes, i may avoid those....)
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:08 am

I guess I'll joint the party and say my dream list of cymbals.
Aside from what I already own:

13" Istanbul Agop Turk Hats
14" Zildjian 60's New Beat Hats
16" Dream Bliss Crash (used as trashy splash)
20" Bosphorus Hammer China w/ 4 rivets
21" Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis Ride w/ 2 rivets
21" Istanbul Agop SE Jazz Ride
22" Istanbul Agop Epoch Ride

In other news:
I just got home from a jazz band/concert band dinner performance. Played 13 or so songs with the jazz big band and 2 with a vocal quartet. Lots-o-fun.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:38 pm

I don't think i could honestly compile an all-inclusive list of all the cymbals i want.... so instead..... here's my short term dream cymbal list....

- 20" crash of doom
- 18" K EFX
- Paiste Twenty China or K Custom Hybrid China

there are literally hundreds more cymbals i'd love to have... but those are the main ones that are appealing to me this month hahaha
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean Matt.
These aren't all the cymbals I'll ever own, because honestly when it comes time to buy a new cymbal, I usually end up finding a good deal on something I never considered before.
My list is more a compilation of some cymbals I'd like to have in my collection someday.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 pm

So what's happening with you guys lately?
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 pm

i just got home from part 1 of my spring break trip... first half was a few days in a cabin up in the smokie mountains.... second part is a weekend at home and John Mayer concert.

last friday i had my first interview for a post graduate job, hopefully i'll be hearing back from them soon!
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:30 pm

nice one matt,
I have been busy, finishing my final pieces of school coursework (EVER), starting a drumkit diploma as i got a distinction in my grade 8, passed my driving test and im off to holland on monday, Crazy!!!
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:39 pm

saw john and steve last night... steve was phenomenal.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Thats awesome Matt, Im sure it was a great show.
I saw my drum teacher play at the local jazz club last nice with a guitar quartet, it was phenominal.

A guitar playing friend of mine is trying to get a jazz combo together to play at a local cafe. He wants drums, keys, guitar, bass and sax. Im hoping something will come of it so I can start playing out more.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 am

Matt wrote:saw john and steve last night... steve was phenomenal.

I'm super jealous of that, but I did however get to hear JM and Steve rock out 4 songs last Tuesday night in Dallas. My buddy Jordan went to the show, and called me during Steve's solo. I listened in on the next 4 tunes... Waiting On the World to Change, Edge of Desire, Bigger Than My Body, and Half of My Heart. Twas quite awesome.

Man, I haven't checked in here in a few weeks, seems like. Been pretty busy lately.
Congrats Dave on getting that Grade 8, and finishing your school stuff soon. I remember what a relief that was.

Hope that jazz combo works out for you too, Connor. That sounds like a sweet gig.

In other news, I'm in the process of acquiring a 1968 15x6.5 Ludwig Auditorium snare. Keystone badge. P-83 throw off and original wires. Freaking sweet drum. Near mint condition. Another Craigslist find. Seller only wants $150 for it. He works at my local GC, really cool dude, and he's agreed to hold it for me until I can come up with the funds. I've been looking around for a 15" Ludwig for a couple years now, so I'm super stoked to have finally found one at a great price, and it's even better that it's a local deal. More news on that soon, hopefully.
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 am

sounds like a pretty sick drum, we expect an unnecessary amount of pics when you get it.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:42 am

So today I played with a few friends for the school Talent Show.
We played Blacken The Cursed Sun by Lamb of God for about 1000 people.
Really fun show, my first time really playing infront of a bigger audience.

Here's a video you can hopefully see.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?comments&v=408260845900
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 am

Oh man. I remember those high school talent show gigs, all too well. haha.

Good stuff, Connor.
It's late, so I can't listen to it very loud right now, but you guys sound like you're all playing pretty tight together. Looks like a big crowd too, and that's always cool.

Honestly though, all of you guys look really, really bored. No real movement on stage until the last few seconds of the song. I'm sure it's just concentration, because I understand that's a fast tune, and there are some complex parts. Audiences will always enjoy watching a band with a little bit more presence than that though.

Not trying to be harsh, that's just something to consider for future performances.
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks Taylor.

I know what you mean about the lack of stage "presence", now that I look at it everyone is pretty focused. There definately could have been some movement, but honestly the stage was so small/cramped there was little room. I'll take that into consideration though.

I Jammed with a new band yesturday. Kind of a proogressive jamm band if you will. We wrote a couple tunes and we're going to record a couple quick tracks tomorrow to through up on a myspace.
I'll let you guys know.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 am

how have you all been?

School seems like it's stealing all my time now. but i'm almost done, so it's all good.

I've got two interviews, one tomorrow and one friday, hopefully i'll do amazingly well at both of them.

what's new with all of y'all?
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Been completely flat out with school final exams just around the bend, student loans and uni things, fun times.

As far as drums go, just really listening and learning, usual....

But today, i had a brain wave!
I was thinking about how a fiberskyn adds a bit of depth and boom to a kick as a reso head. So i applied the same concept to my side snare as i was re-heading my kit so i had all the heads of anyways. It seems successful but as the heads are cranked up to stretch out so obviously i cant give any accurate results but heres what i have noticed:
( tis on the 14" by 5" snare with coated amb/fiberskyn amb.
Very focused warm boxy old school pop sound, even though its all cranked atm it still retains depth. Very soft snare sound, still fairly sensitive even with the thicker reso head but soft pop rather than a big snap or a harsh crack, sounds more like gut than wire.

Seems to be doing what i expected and wanted but ill see for sure once i fine tune tomorrow.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm

i'd never even think of putting a fiberskyn as a snare reso... but i bet it sounds really cool.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Well the FS reso sounded cool, very boxy tight dry sound but it wasnt what i was looking for but worth the experiment, back to coated amb over clear amb as on the 14 by 5 however i have been struggling to get a real good sound out of that drum recently.

In other new the fiberskyn reso sounds really good on my 14" tom so its staying there time being sounds like a little kick drum with coated emp batter and FS reso. tuned up higher than normal for me
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Well, both of my interviews went really well. I have a second interview with a firm in Nashville, this coming Thursday.... It's pretty rad. Plus, it'd be awesome to live in Nashville just because all of the great concerts i'd be able to go to.

I can see that FS reso on the 14" tom sounding really nice, makes me want to try it with my floor tom.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next