JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+11
SKC
mutt_78
J.
sjman409
Barrett
Ali G
Dave-the-drummer
Connor.
Levi.
Taylor.
Matt
15 posters

Page 36 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 36 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Connor. Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Meh, not really.
I figured i'd subscribe to those because most of them have little educational clips and they'll be good to watch on the bus on the way to school
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 36 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by InSight. Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:16 am

Here's what arrived yesterday that I mentioned. Now I can apply MIDI tracks to my songs, though the MIDI instruments on both Garageband and Cubase LE4 are fairly limited.

Yamaha PSR-E413 -

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 36 100_8890

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 36 100_8887
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:39 am

Looks cool Ash, I don't really know much about MIDI and that kind of stuff but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Looks nice, Ash! Still can't wait for some sound clips! Very Happy
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:55 pm

Ali G wrote:Looks nice, Ash! Still can't wait for some sound clips! Very Happy
Ali, I have one ready. The thing is, I literally grabbed my mac, connected the interface and pressed record. I didn't check any microphone placement, or did any tests to have a listen. If I had've done this, I would have realized that the overheads had been moved around a bit from my band recording the day before, and that the kick mic had been knocked so that it was literally facing the shell of the kick, as opposed to slightly off-centre. Give me a shout here if you still want to have a listen, drums are fair average, and very busy as I was trying it Keith Carlock style Cool And my ghosts notes seemed to be picked up too much, hence a really busy sound. But, meh.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:03 pm

[quote="InSight."]
Ali G wrote:The thing is, I literally grabbed my mac, connected the interface and pressed record. I didn't check any microphone placement, or did any tests to have a listen. If I had've done this, I would have realized that the overheads had been moved around a bit from my band recording the day before, and that the kick mic had been knocked so that it was literally facing the shell of the kick, as opposed to slightly off-centre. Give me a shout here if you still want to have a listen, drums are fair average, and very busy as I was trying it Keith Carlock style Cool And my ghosts notes seemed to be picked up too much, hence a really busy sound. But, meh.

I had that same problem this week recording demos with my band.

Didn't check levels properly, just pressed record and we all started playing. Recorded about 4 songs like that too. So I ended up getting waaaayyyy too much signal coming in with some things, mostly the kick drum bass. Pretty serious clipping in some areas. Didn't even noticed till we stopped playing and decided to listen to the playback. Really made me mad, because it was an absolutely careless mistake.

So yeah, I know the feeling Ash.

I'd still like to hear the clip though.
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:41 pm

Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Haha, so did I.
Travis Barker much?
His kit doesn't do him much justice aswell.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Connor. wrote:
Travis Barker much?

Maybe just a little bit.
haha.

Looks like he's trying waaayyy too hard to look cool while playing a tune as simple as that one.
And even he looks uncomfortable on that setup. That said, though I didn't care for his playing in the chorus', I was kinda digging his grooves in the verses.

I totally LOLed at that stick throw/spin/whatever he tries to pull off at the 1:26 mark though.

Last edited by Taylor. on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Yeah, it looks like for a second there he wasn't going to catch it.
He did another little stick spin thing at 0:42.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

I played some Staggs today. They sound really good for the money, and now I'm thinking of picking up an 8" Stagg SH Splash and maybe even a 17" SH Medium Crash to try out as hats with my Agop Turk. Very Happy
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Ali G wrote:I played some Staggs today. They sound really good for the money, and now I'm thinking of picking up an 8" Stagg SH Splash and maybe even a 17" SH Medium Crash to try out as hats with my Agop Turk. Very Happy

Those splashes are good i still have the same one 8" SH and my main crash is a 17" DH Exotic Crash, also very good.
Great price for b20 bronze
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:08 pm

so....
anybody else like to do quintuplet fills??

I have been messing around with quintuplets and "nine-tuplets" (not sure of the actual name haha), they sound great in a jazz context, quite fun to experiment with.

NB/ quintuplets as in 5 notes per beat, not as in groupings of 5.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:24 pm

So i finally got a foot cowbell hooked up! Cost me absolutely nothing made some Frankenstein clamp-arm/bracket that attaches to my hat stand, the pedal sits on the floor. (cowbell in parallel to floor and beater strikes down onto it)
It quite clever i think (haha) ill post some pics tomorrow.
Currently working on gettin the 2-3 and 3-2 son clave patterns going, also its handy to thicken up some fills and grooves rather than having the hats chicking out 4's or 3's i can get a different colour going on with the cbell.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Sounds great Dave.
I wouldn't mind putting together a similar setup sometime.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 pm

Ulysses Owens.
Been listening to him for about a week now.
Epic jazz drummer.
Check him now.

With love,
Dave
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Also gaiz,
we haven't done one in a while so since its the end of feb, im thinking its time for a "____ of the month" award.

Im thinking "set-up of the month" 2010
Anyone wanting to play lemme know.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 am

Sad

I'd like to play, but we've lost alot of members. Or at least, we have like 4 regular posters on this forum now. :/
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 am

Yeah, I'd be down for a little contest. I'd be small though as Ali said.
I think the regulars here now are:

Ali
Dave
Ash
Connor (me)
Matt
Shawn
Taylor

That sucks, we had atleast 10 regular posters not too long ago.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:50 am

yeah, this forum has lost it's steam... but it's all good. haha
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Yup, of our 30 or so users only about 6 actually post haha
Awk well, PDF completely sucks, so i guess im better off here Wink
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:26 pm

well, since i got my gibraltar 8610 flat base cymbal stand for my 22" dream... i've decided to sell my two pearl stands to get a little extra money... i was asking like $50 for both stands, and i've got a guy that i'm currently emailing back and forth with that is offering to trade a 22" Avedis Zildjian Ride.... i'm trying to get pics from him, but from what i can decipher from his messages it's either a 22" rock ride, or a 22" medium ride.... if it's in good condition, i'm totally gonna trade him, and most likely turn around and sell the cymbal and make a few bucks!!
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:55 am

Nice Matt, sounds like an ideal situation for you. What did you end up doing with your 19" bliss?

In other news, Im toying with the idea of selling some of my own gear. I'd like to sell my DW7000 double pedal as I havent used the actual slave pedal since as long as I can remember and put the money towards a DW9000 single. I'll probably end up doing this soon as I like the 9000 more, and never use my double.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am

I wound up selling my 19" bliss, got $85 for it, which considering the fact it was like $110 new, and dream doesn't quite have the reputation and big name as the big 3, i feel like i got a decent price.

I'm hoping that in the next year sometime i can FINALLY get a new kit. I'll be graduating from college in May, and hopefully landing a job with a sweet salary, thus, being able to get a new kit... hopefully.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 am

Connor. wrote:
In other news, Im toying with the idea of selling some of my own gear. I'd like to sell my DW7000 double pedal as I havent used the actual slave pedal since as long as I can remember and put the money towards a DW9000 single. I'll probably end up doing this soon as I like the 9000 more, and never use my double.

Can't you do what i did and convert the double into 2 singles?
I could never afford dw hardware, tres tres expensive over here, but very very nice.

Also matt, that is a sweet deal, unless of course you end up liking the avedis ride. There is just something about the avedis series that i really really like. My avedis ping ride sounds great, i also have spied a beautiful baby ride which i really like haha but don't think ill get.

Actually, I doubt ill change anything on my kit for a while, well heads for my toms next month, i think im going coated this time. Then i need a new music stand but thats not really part of my kit.

Also i should be gigging again soon which im pretty stoked about, haven't gigged in a while. And i should also get some videos on youtube soon Smile
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next