JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Levi's Kit, Gretsch, Dream, Meinl.

+9
J.
Charles.
sjman409
Matt
Prog Rocker
Dave-the-drummer
InSight.
Per
Levi.
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Levi's Kit, Gretsch, Dream, Meinl. - Page 3 Empty Re: Levi's Kit, Gretsch, Dream, Meinl.

Post by SKC Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:55 am

convert them already, lazy!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Levi's Kit, Gretsch, Dream, Meinl. - Page 3 Empty Re: Levi's Kit, Gretsch, Dream, Meinl.

Post by bretkill Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:23 am

That Dream looks gorgeous, Levi. Am I the only one who found the Fiberskyn to deaden my ghostnotes a little too much? Still an awesome drumhead though.
bretkill
bretkill

http://www.myspace.com/bretwithonet

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:06 am

Thanks Bret.

Did you get an FS for your snare? I wouldn't say it deadend the Zebrawood at all. My ghost notes were always clear. Maybe not as clear as my Peace, but that's probably only because of the 6.5 depth. The FS gave it a fatness that was always there, no matter if you tuned it low or if you cranked it.

I've actually replaced the FS with a G1. I thought it sounded a little boxy with the G1, but last night I cranked the reso, and now it's got this lovey, airy ring to it.

I also picked up an Attack Jeff Ocheltree Old School head for my Peace snare. I like this head, it's just a regular coated single ply, but the coating has been sprayed on really light. It looks normal in the middle, but it starts getting clearer about 0.5-1" from the edge. I just hope the coating doesn't come off too easily.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by bretkill Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:20 am

Levi. wrote:Thanks Bret.

Did you get an FS for your snare? I wouldn't say it deadend the Zebrawood at all. My ghost notes were always clear. Maybe not as clear as my Peace, but that's probably only because of the 6.5 depth. The FS gave it a fatness that was always there, no matter if you tuned it low or if you cranked it.

I've actually replaced the FS with a G1. I thought it sounded a little boxy with the G1, but last night I cranked the reso, and now it's got this lovey, airy ring to it.

I also picked up an Attack Jeff Ocheltree Old School head for my Peace snare. I like this head, it's just a regular coated single ply, but the coating has been sprayed on really light. It looks normal in the middle, but it starts getting clearer about 0.5-1" from the edge. I just hope the coating doesn't come off too easily.

Yes, it was a Fiberskyn Ambassador for my snare. I still have it around as a back-up as I only used it for maybe two months. Its strange, another friend of mine who tried the Fiberskyn on his snare the same time as me didn't have that issue either. "Deadened" isn't the right word, my ghostnotes just weren't as loud in volume as they were on a normal coated drumhead and had trouble cutting through in a band setting. I still like the drumhead a lot and would use it on other snares if I had multiple snares to choose from. It just didn't seem as versatile to me as the PCRD is for example, which is my go-to snare drumhead, especially since I only have one snare at the moment.
bretkill
bretkill

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:27 am

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Like a softer sound and feel, and not as crisp?

I might pick up a FS for the Zebrawood again somewhere in the future, they are great sounding heads. The only problem I had with it was the bubbling. I suppose it's better than coating flaking off, but still. Did you get any bubbling on yours?
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by bretkill Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:32 am

Levi. wrote:Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Like a softer sound and feel, and not as crisp?

I might pick up a FS for the Zebrawood again somewhere in the future, they are great sounding heads. The only problem I had with it was the bubbling. I suppose it's better than coating flaking off, but still. Did you get any bubbling on yours?

I did, and so did my friend. Remo recently released the "Skyntone" drumhead which looks much the same as the Fiberskyn, except to doesn't appear to have the film the Fiberskyn has. I've seen it in person, but didn't really get the play it. At first, I excepted it to be a replacement for the Fiberskyn and its bubbling issue, but the Fiberskyn is still around. Anyways, I'd like to give it a try. Prehaps since it doesn't have the film, its more of a mixture between the Fiberskyn and a coated drumhead in sound.

http://remo.com/portal/products/3/8/752/ds_skyntone.html
bretkill
bretkill

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:40 am

Yeah, I've seen the Skyntones before. They look interesting, it would be good if they don't have the bubbling issue. I dunno if any of the stores will get them in here, though, but if they do, I'll probably pick one up.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3