JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official JJ Johnson Thread

+12
Per
Connor.
Ali G
Skinny.
sjman409
J.
SKC
Levi.
Dave-the-drummer
InSight.
Matt
L'Astronaut
16 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 25 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Matt Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:22 am

oh i know.... One time I played a MCAN at Fork's and fell madly in love.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

The Official JJ Johnson Thread - Page 25 Empty Re: The Official JJ Johnson Thread

Post by Levi. Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:54 am

InSight. wrote:
Congratulations Levi! I'm honestly looking forward to seeing the room, it sounds fantastic.
Ha-ha, not finished yet! But you're definitely on the track, it was the best feeling the day I was able to get my drums into my new space. It was raining, so difficult to transport the drums out in the weather, but eventually I got everything out there. Set it up, and BOOOOOM. My god it sounded horrible in there, but having a low roof, parallel walls, hard, flat textured walls and next to no furniture it was quite expected. From sounds of things yours isn't quite as bad, you're lucky.

Yeah, it's good to get in there finally. The sounds not too bad, but it's probably a little bit too much for recording, so we'll try a bit of acoustic treatment.

InSight. wrote:
Oh man, I know what you mean. I've sat down a few times and
just gone 'I need something, I need this'. Unfortunately I never have
the money to fulfil this need, but I can dream right Wink
I hope you do end up getting it man, it would be a very nice acquisition.

I've actually never sat down and said "I really need something", until last night. I was playing, and it felt as if there was something missing in my setup. I could only go to my hats or my ride, and everything started getting really repetitive. I really needed another crash/ride sound. Something that has a nice clicky, washy ride sound, and a massive wall of sound crash. I do crash ride on my 22" alot, but that does get a bit over the top. I'd like something with a crash that's a little less in your face.

I don't think there'll be a problem getting it. The Blisses are going for $230, and the Vintage Blisses are $250, including shipping. I thought they went up a fair bit in price, but that's still insanely cheap. I probably wont go with a Contact this time. Mainly because all the Blisses seem to be lighter, and open up a little easier.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:53 am

thanks Ash, for the info and support Very Happy

And he didn't buy my crash because instead he spend it on a ZXT ride or something. how retarded is that.

The main reason I'd go for a Pearl is that drums are limited here, and Pearl is the best priced drums here. A Gretsch Catalina Jazz would cost me USD1000++
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:15 am

I think i am like the only guy here who is happy with his kit, i mean there are a few thing that i would change, but i mean i have no problems with my kit and most importantly it sounds great, the only thing i will change is maybe put diecast hoops on my toms reso sides, natural hoops on the bass, FS reso with buddy/ gene krupa style logo, but with my initials obviously.
Obviously i would like some more snares but i they will come in the future.

Oh and i didn't nessesarily mean an endorsee of PDP, thats why i said an endorsee of some sort, although i would be very happy if PDP endorsed me someday, they have some really great drums and are always overlooked IMHO. They had flaws (bearing edge thing for example) in the past but they are all gone now. I just wish they made short stack toms, it would aid setting up alot.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:27 am

What makes you say that? I adore my kit, I just want something different. But right now I have it sounding superb, excepting the 10". I need to play around, but at last I've got my kick sounding amazing. And I love my snare to death, especially now with the wood hoops and new heads, and the 14" is also sounding fantastic. There are a few things I'm not happy with, but in all I'm extremely pleased with it.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:29 am

Dave-the-drummer wrote:I think i am like the only guy here who is happy with his kit, i mean there are a few thing that i would change, but i mean i have no problems with my kit and most importantly it sounds great, the only thing i will change is maybe put diecast hoops on my toms reso sides, natural hoops on the bass, FS reso with buddy/ gene krupa style logo, but with my initials obviously.

I dunno, I think most of the guys here are happy with their kits. But, being drummers, they always want to change some things around, get something new, change their setup, stuff like that. Variety is the spice of life.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 am

I'm OKAY with my kit, it's just, it's not the sizes I would want for one, the lugs are all rusty, which I can fix, but haven't, it's hard to get a nice sound out of my floor (I can get a decent sound, after spending a buncha time tuning) AND it's just not the sound I want.

Sure it's a good starter kit, but it's a forum. There's not much I CAN do with it.

I am sure I could stay with it for a couple more years, if I wanted, but this kit has been gigged by me AND the previous owner, and has had three different owners and is at least 4 or 5 years old.

It's decent, it's just not something I want to be playing for the rest of my life.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Yeah, I like my kit, I just want some maple shelled drums in different sizes....

J -- what's the word for Fork's?
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Anyone watching the MJ Memorial?
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:56 pm

matt I haven't called yet. I will in a little while.

connor- yeah I just watched JM perform.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:15 pm

damn, i was at the park taking a walk, and i missed JM's tribute to MJ... lame.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 pm

it will be on youtube soon enough..
I actually only saw the ending of it.. =( I was too busy drumming along to Clarity. ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:20 pm

it's already on youtube, i just watched it.

he was great, honestly, that was probably some of the most emotional playing i've seen him do.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 pm

I watched the whole funeral, everyone was great, some great speeches aswell, really highlighted the greatness of MJ's career not the surgery and court cases.

Anywho JM was great at it, i didn't like the last bit of his solo, but he played really well, just wish SJ was accompanying him.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Yeah, the whole ceremony was really nice. I think MJ deserved every bit of it.
JM was great aswell.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Damn, it started at like 2am, ha-ha, I missed it by far.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm

I just heard about it, ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali G Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 pm

I was asleep when it was on in America.

Damn time zones. Maybe itll be on here later today.
Ali G
Ali G

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:38 pm

J, i'm going to Fork's tomorrow....

I'm suppose to meet the guy who is buying my 8" tom in Goodlettsville around 12:30ish

and goodlettsville is maybe 15 or 20 minutes from Fork's....

be there, or be square.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubber314chicken Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 pm

Dave-the-drummer wrote:I think i am like the only guy here who is happy with his kit, i mean there are a few thing that i would change, but i mean i have no problems with my kit and most importantly it sounds great, the only thing i will change is maybe put diecast hoops on my toms reso sides, natural hoops on the bass, FS reso with buddy/ gene krupa style logo, but with my initials obviously.

Oh and i didn't nessesarily mean an endorsee of PDP, thats why i said an endorsee of some sort, although i would be very happy if PDP endorsed me someday, they have some really great drums and are always overlooked IMHO. They had flaws (bearing edge thing for example) in the past but they are all gone now. I just wish they made short stack toms, it would aid setting up alot.

Who needs short stacks when you have growth hormone?

Actually, I honestly don't see a need for that either. I have a friend who is short and it is quite interesting to watch him play because I like my throne highish, and I'm 6'2.5" He is like 5'6" and wants it lower (every time we setup he tries to lower it)

But I don't blame him, he looks like he is standing behind the set.... but when the rest of the drummers are tall, you gotta adjust....
Rubber314chicken
Rubber314chicken
Admin

https://jjclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:26 pm

:¡This Cheese is Burning Me!!: ha i found a way around the censor
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:02 am

this forum is DEAD tonight.

J -- get on here. n00b. you're probably out driving, little Ms. Driver's License.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 am

Drivers liscenses are for n00bs.

Matt -- When you go to Fork's, be sure to get a pic of this acclaimed "Fiberskyn" object.
Connor.
Connor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 am

I will do my best, but typically they are in glass cases and no flash photography is allowed, so i probably won't be able to capture the beauty of the ultra rare fiberskyn.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 am

Ew, Fiberskyns.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next