JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dream Cymbals (and gongs) Thread.

+10
Charles.
Taylor.
InSight.
Levi.
Matt
Rubber314chicken
L'Astronaut
sjman409
Connor.
J.
14 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Dream Cymbals (and gongs) Thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: The Dream Cymbals (and gongs) Thread.

Post by J. Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:10 am

InSight. wrote:So you place it on the cymbal, then what? Wait?
I usually get a q-tip, dip it in the the remover, then apply it over the logos. I wipe it off like right after.
Levi. wrote:Thanks Jeffrey. What do you think, not too washy?

Yeah, it looks like it did a good job on your Dream's, but I think I might have seen a little ghosting on you AA top hat. Maybe the nail polish remover reacts to Sabian's coating or something.
nahh not too washy at all.

Yeah my AA was weird. I can see the 'ghosting' and there's two really clean spot on my AA.
damn sabian and their huge logos.

and actually on my vintage bliss where I took the logos off, there is some ghosting, but it will go away once it oxodizes. the ink like prtected that part of the cymbal from oxodizing...
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

The Dream Cymbals (and gongs) Thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: The Dream Cymbals (and gongs) Thread.

Post by Dave-the-drummer Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I like the look of ghosting ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!
I think it looks cool, just me though.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Dave-the-drummer wrote:I like the look of ghosting ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!
I think it looks cool, just me though.

I dunno, if I take the logos off any of my cymbals, I want it to look like there was no logos there in the first place. I can understand you liking the ghosting, it does look pretty cool, but on my Sabians where I took the logos off, there was ghosting, then all around the ghosting was this dirty mark, and it wouldn't come off, even after cleaning it with everything I could find. It just looked really ugly.

InSight. wrote:So you place it on the cymbal, then what? Wait?

I dunno if you want to take the logos off your Artisan and K, but you just rub a little nail polish remover on the logo, and it will come off effortlessly, like it wasn't even attached to the cymbal.

Also, how many of you have a Dream Cymbals T-shirt? Well, I do. The guy from CymbalsPlus rang me on Friday night and told me he's throwing in a free shirt, for being a loyal customer. So, I thought that was pretty cool.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:10 pm

damn. I want a dream tshirt.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:12 pm

man... lucky.

i had a dream sticker, but i don't know where it is.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:31 am

dude I've ordered twice from VC and all I got were some virtual cymbals stickers (which are cool) and a business card ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 am

well, i ordered a whole set... i got two VC stickers, a Dream Sticker and i dunno, i feel like there was something else.... i have no idea what though
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:15 am

From CymbalsPlus I've ordered 22" Contact, 14" hats, 20" China, and now 20" VB. And for free, I've got:

2 Dream stickers,
10" Contact Splash
Dream shirt,

so, I think that's pretty good. I really don't know what to do with the stickers though. I used to love stickers, and I'd put them everywhere, but now, I think stickers make everything look tacky.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Yeah, I love collecting stickers.
I have a little cardboard box full of them.
I usually wait until I have the perfect thing to put them on, which rarely occurs.
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:04 am

Wow, sorry Connor. My computer freaked out, and I accidentally hit the negative button. Don't worry, I've given you two positive votes to make up for it.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor. Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:42 am

Ah, its all good.
As long as I didnt lose any of my precious internet reputation.
¡This Cheese is Burning Me!.
Connor.
Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnorEllinger

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:46 am

I have a very sleek looking vic firth sticker on the side of my car.

A nice simple dream one could be cool.
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:13 am

So, my Vintage Bliss came today. I definitely wasn't expecting it this early. Bryn, from CymbalsPlus, gave me a call on Friday night asking about the T-shirt. So, I knew he hadn't sent it yet, so it would only get sent on Monday. That means it was only in the post for 3 days, which is incredible.

Now, onto the cymbal. It's extremely thin, and dark. It makes my Contact seem very dry, which it isn't. I've got it on the right now, JJ style, but I did play around with it on the left. The stick sound is dark, and the wash doesn't overpower it. The crash opens up easily, and is dark and massive, but it's not very loud. It blends very well with the rest of my cymbals. I have a feeling that I'm going to like it even more as it ages a bit, and I think it'll probably change quite a bit over the next few days. If I could say anything bad about this cymbal, it would be the bell. There's basically no separation between the bow sound and the bell, but, I really don't care if the bell is bad or amazing, because my Contact has a good enough bell anyway. If this did have a good bell, chances are I wouldn't even use it.

J. wrote:I have a very sleek looking vic firth sticker on the side of my car.

A nice simple dream one could be cool.

I actually can't stand stickers on my car. I thinnk they just look tacky. Oh, with my haul today, I now have 3 Dream stickers.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am

Congratulations, Levi. Though you beat me Cool
Sounds lovely, similar to what I’m after, from sounds of things it would be contradicting from my drier rides. Which is what I’d like, a nice blend between dry and washy. Shame about the bell, but even as you said, you wouldn’t use it even if it weren’t the case. I’m the same, though it’s nice to have the addition, I wouldn’t be at all bummed over it. Enjoy, and will be expecting pictures? Yes, yes we will.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:10 am

InSight. wrote:Congratulations, Levi. Though you beat me Cool
Sounds lovely, similar to what I’m after, from sounds of things it would be contradicting from my drier rides. Which is what I’d like, a nice blend between dry and washy. Shame about the bell, but even as you said, you wouldn’t use it even if it weren’t the case. I’m the same, though it’s nice to have the addition, I wouldn’t be at all bummed over it.

I dunno if I would call it a blend between dry and washy, it's extremely washy, but the stick sound is always there, never washed out. I'm hoping it settles down a little bit in the near future. And yeah, the bell is basically unusable, but when I noticed I really didn't care. When I was listening to cymbals this time round, I didn't even think of the bell, because I will never hit it in its whole life.

InSight. wrote:Enjoy,
and will be expecting pictures? Yes, yes we will.

Haha. I think I'm going to take a whole heap of photos, of the new room, my kit, all the gear in the room, and I might dig up a few pics of when the room was in construction, then I'll make a new thread for you to enjoy. Our bass player is back from holidays, and he's got the computer, so we should have band practice this weekend. The room is not fully cleaned yet, so I'll take some photos when all the mess is taken care of. We're still also waiting on a table for the computer and the other gear. Right now we're using a few tables that used to be in our dining room. We're gonna get a new table that's exactly the right size, so it doesnt take up anymore room than it needs to.

Also, no one actually knows yet that I have the new VB. It's sitting in a cymbal bag in the room right now. I played it after work today, when everyone was out. I'm planning on pulling it out at band practice, and they'll all be like "WHOA", the I'll be like "Yo", then they'll be like "Whooooaaa". Ya dig?

And now, time to copy the above post and post it at PDF.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:14 am

Levi. wrote:I dunno if I would call it a blend between dry and washy, it's extremely washy, but the stick sound is always there, never washed out. I'm hoping it settles down a little bit in the near future. And yeah, the bell is basically unusable, but when I noticed I really didn't care. When I was listening to cymbals this time round, I didn't even think of the bell, because I will never hit it in its whole life.

Also, no one actually knows yet that I have the new VB. It's sitting in a cymbal bag in the room right now. I played it after work today, when everyone was out. I'm planning on pulling it out at band practice, and they'll all be like "WHOA", the I'll be like "Yo", then they'll be like "Whooooaaa". Ya dig?

And now, time to copy the above post and post it at PDF.
I didn't mean a blend of dry and washy within the one ride. I meant I'd have the ability to use a dry and washy ride (HD Ride and x Ride).

Ha! My band members wouldn't even realise, seriously. I could get a new kit without them realising Smile
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:29 am

InSight. wrote:
I didn't mean a blend of dry and washy within the one ride. I meant I'd have the ability to use a dry and washy ride (HD Ride and x Ride).

Oh, my bad Embarassed . Yeah, I'd probably get frustrated with two dry rides. I have to have at least one washy cymbal in my setup. Right now I've got two, but the Contact, compared to the Vintage, is so clicky and defined. I never realised it until now.

InSight. wrote:
Ha! My band members wouldn't even realise, seriously. I could get a new kit without them realising Smile

I dunno, my brother would probably realise, as he likes to play my drums a little bit. I have a feeling that they won't exactly like this cymbal, well at least for the first little bit. Whenever I get new gear, my brother doesn't like the sound of it at first, but after a few days he takes a shine to it.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 pm

awesome to hear you are enjoying your vintage!
mine took a while to get used to. but I love it. I also added two rivets to it. perfect!!
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:22 am

So, I had band practice last night. I pulled out the Vintage as the other guys were setting up. Our bass player noticed it just before we started playing. To my surprise, they liked it. Playing it with the band, it's so good, it gives me so much more options, and sounds.

I like how you put rivets in yours, Jeffrey, but I doubt I'll do it to mine. I've tried a few cymbals with rivets, and with chains, and I have to say that I prefer the chains just a little bit more. Most people say that rivets are better and more natural sounding. It's just a lot easier to take off and put on chains, and I've got a few fairly non-ghetto looking homemade ones.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by 61'. Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:35 am

great to hear they liked it. the bliss vintage really has a great. I love mine, considering getting rivets or may just use the chain.
61'.
61'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:23 am

Yeah, I think the chain is all the sizzle I need. And I don't go messing it up trying trying to drill it. Actually, I'm quite competent with a drill, so I wouldn't mess it up.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:26 am

I wouldn't be scared about messing it up, it's just the fact that once they're in they're in.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:31 am

Yeah, there's no way I could mess it up. I'm pretty sure that most rivets are fairly easily removable. The split pin ones would probably be the easiest to take out. But yeah, it takes 2 seconds to take a chain off.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 am

Yes, but you still have holes in your cymbals, even when taken out.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:42 am

Yeah, and that would probably decrease the price a bit if you were selling it, if it was an expensive cymbal. The holes don't affect the sound at all though, which is good.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next