JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of wood for my new snare?

+3
InSight.
Dave-the-drummer
SKC
7 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 2 Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:48 pm

nice one, remember to share plans etc with us.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 2 Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by SKC Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:27 pm

I just signed up to be a Drum Labs member on GhostNote.net... OMW, so much information for building techniques!!!!! They even have my technique for building wood hoops!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:31 pm

If I do enjoy making this snare, I'm going to be starting up a small shop.

I'll have a lot of woods to choose from, including:
Maple - Curly maple - quilted maple - birch - myrtle - white oak - cherry - ash - bubinga - african mahogany - makore - paduak - sapele - wenge - zebrawood - bloodwood - cocobolo - lacewood - purplewood - rosewood - australian blackwood - teak - koa

I'll add more when I find more that can be used for drums.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Wait, so you're basically starting your own custom snare company if all goes to plan? What was it last week, your own store with a large amount of dream and Paiste stock?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:39 pm

It can be combined.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Why can't I view threads on ghostnote? I just signed up because I'd also like to look around and learn a few things, but it says I don't have permission to view.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Oh, must I pay? That sucks.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:33 pm

For certain things like the drum lab, you need to pay 20 bucks. Totally worth the money.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Got Myrtlewood for 7 bucks a board foot, super cheap, I got 4 board feet. More than enough. The guy that works at the myrtlewood shop is giving me the best grain possible, so i'll get the wood tomorrow morning!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:23 pm

sweet.

do you have any pics of myrtlewood?
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Here is a picture of a Myrtlewood snare.

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 2 Vthc_steambent
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 pm

i like that. are you going to leave it natural?
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:16 pm

looks great shawn! ill order a 12 by 7 please Wink
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Ha-ha, I'll take a 14x6. Cheers, and shipping will be free.
But really, I didn't realise you were this serious this quick, cool! I'll look forwards to what you produce, I'd have no idea what to do if you say the material and tools out in front of me. It looks like a fantastic wood, and not all that expensive.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Ash, it might just be feasible for you to get one for free... I might hold a contest in the future for the snare, if all goes well.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Shocked!!!

But seriously, I'd love to take up drum construction, where did you learn most of the skills? I'm sure it's not an easy task, nor would it be cheap to pick up the tools.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:31 am

I have experience with construction and I have made tables before. My grandpa has a pretty nice shop and I'm borrowing a lathe. I just need to buy the proper router bits and they cost about 20 bucks.

The contest will be about who can design the best badge and logo for my drums. That is, if everything goes as planned.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Dang, I have to wait 'till next week to cut the wood down to size. I'm making a jig to cut the edges straight, but the hardware store had to special order the MDF and trim...
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Ill design a logo for you! It would give me an excuse to do some art again.
Something sleek, any ideas on a company name?
I could be your first endorsee, Wink id take good care of the snare, and im sure it would spark some interest over here, get you some customers.
Its a 14 by 6 right?
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:06 pm

I'll come up with a name soon.. Give me a bit and I'll come up with something.

Yup, it's gonna be a 6x14.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:17 pm

couldn't make it an inch deeper Wink
let me know about names and ill give you some logo designs.
You could just go with SKC drums.

I am determined to win the contest
¡This Cheese is Burning Me!
i wouldn't mind owning a second snare, The myrtyle wood looks great and i bet it could have an equally good sound out of it using some tuning tricks. Plus the deeper size (6") will give it more body.

Good luck with building it. Photos of the build would be good Smile
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 pm

I could go to 6.5 inch, but not 7, since I'm cutting the staves at 7 inch increments..
I'm thinking either SKC Custom Snares, or Southern Oregon Coast Drumworks (SOCD).

I'm thinking of something timeless for the logo/badge..
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:55 pm

I don't like SKC all that much, mostly because it reminds me of SKB cases, ha!
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:57 pm

InSight. wrote:I don't like SKC all that much

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

tongue tongue
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:11 am

SOCD and SKC are both nice. Once you decide let me know.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next