JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of wood for my new snare?

+3
InSight.
Dave-the-drummer
SKC
7 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 4 Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by Matt Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:50 pm

I think that has a lot of potential, I really like it.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 4 Empty Re: What kind of wood for my new snare?

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Some new ones with new backgrounds. I made them look carved/engraved:

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 4 Carved10

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 4 Carved11

What kind of wood for my new snare? - Page 4 Carved12

EDIT: i never knew we could hand draw them. Ill have to draw some up.

Also if you want any little designs/images on any of my current ones or any particular badge shape let me know and ill edit them. The ones i have posted are merely samples to get a particular font/ background/colour scheme.

Last edited by Dave-the-drummer on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 pm

so far, the "badge" you designed is my favorite, even more so than the one i previously stated as my favorite.

from a functionality viewpoint, i question if the two screws on the top and bottom will suffice, i kind of feel like one on the left and right wings will help a lot.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm

I haven't put screw hole in mine yet, i will if shawn pics one an yea i would do side screw holes thats what my badges on my kit have.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:54 pm

yeah, i like the shape of that badge too, i feel like the shape alone makes it a bit classier than other badges on the market.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm

I just haven't chosen a shape yet as it all depends on what shawn can get his hands on, or what whoever is making the badge for him has.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:05 pm

I feel like the best option would probably be going to like a Trophy shop or something like that.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Yea thats what was thinking and just get like 10 of them made, that would last a long time while he starting off.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:25 pm

yeah, because from what i can tell, it may take him a year or more to use 10, but the trophy shop may give him a better price if he orders more than just 1 or 2
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:17 pm

I've got a couple manufacturers lined up to stamp out the badges. Dave and Ash, the stuff you guys are doing is great!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:19 pm

Man, making staves is the easiest thing to do. I could glue up a 5-piece kit and have them rounded on one of my days off.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Cool keep keeping us updated as you go!
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 am

Interesting Shawn, I would expect them to be quite a long project to partake in. I can't wait to see the finished product, if all goes well I'd definitely consider ordering perhaps a snare from you one day.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 am

Yea i thought they would take a while aswell. well i suppose you are gluing together a stave shell rather than bending plys
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 am

I can see where it would be less time consuming, i thinking where it MAY be more time consuming is when you get to doing the edges and sanding the inside and outside of the shell to get it round instead of being poly-faceted.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:24 am

The edges take about five minutes to do all together on a router table and rounding out takes about 30 minutes on a jig made to do exactly that.

I do not think cost will be an issue for anybody, really. I'm going to be keeping these drums at a low cost so everyone can afford one. Think about 325 dollars for an exotic wood 14x8 snare with ten lugs and trick strainer with heads. I'm not doing this to make a lot of money, I want drummers to be able to afford a high quality snare at a mid-rang price. The whole set, I will have to figure out the cost later.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 pm

325 for exotic wood 14x8 is crazy.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Sounds good.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm doing it for the drummers, not my wallet. Very Happy
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:54 pm

*cough* Nothern Irish drummers get them free *cough*
Thats a great attitude shawn! Let us know how it goes, i may buy one.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Shawn you need a slogan for e.g. "zildjian:play with fire"

Southern Oregon Drumworks:
-play with Gusto............. or your money back

-increases your good Karma.

-buy a snare........ win a real life baby.

-want to be eternally happy?

-he does it for the drummer not his wallet
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Haha, the last one sounds the best. The others, particularly the baby one, mght scare off some people! Shocked :¡This Cheese is Burning Me!!:
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 pm

I've come to a halt at the moment, because I lack a good, flat routing table. I'm will be back up when I get a new one and get some crucial gauges for my table saw. Don't you guys worry, I'll be up and running in no time since I haven't spent a dime on my gretsch or any cymbals! Give it about a week and I'll be ready again!!
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:22 pm

what kind of table are you thinking, I've heard many companies use a big slat of marble because it tends to be extremely level.... that would also probably be a bit pricey too.
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm thinking of an MDF core routing table that has already been cut and ready. Iron cast tops are also an option. I'd love to get a hold of a marble slat, if I could find one for a little less than Cast Iron, then I'd be all over it. It would have to be already cut and ready to use, though.
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next