JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metro Drums.

+7
J.
Rubber314chicken
Dave-the-drummer
SKC
Matt
Levi.
InSight.
11 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Metro Drums. - Page 9 Empty Re: Metro Drums.

Post by InSight. Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:55 am

Lets hope. I'd hate to be hated. Also, just quickly, I have a feeling I'll be replacing the 10" plan with a 12". I just can't get that desired tone out of my 10".
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 am

InSight. wrote:Lets hope. I'd hate to be hated. Also, just quickly, I have a feeling I'll be replacing the 10" plan with a 12". I just can't get that desired tone out of my 10".

Haha, there's no way that he could hate you, you've only sent him a few emails.

Yeah, 12" sounds good. You'll probably have more sound options with the 12", tuned high for a tight sound, or tuned low for a more rumbling sound. I've found that 10"s don't sound all that great when they're tuned low, with a few exceptions.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:28 am

Yeah, I've also found that. But I've also had a lot of trouble recently with the tuning of the tom. I can't wait to chuck the J1 on, I'm assuming I'll have a bit more ease there. The same happened with the floor. Many would assume it would be harder, but I find it easier to find a pleasant sound.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:33 am

My 12" is sounding really good right now. I tuned it up, and normally it sounds like crap when it's tuned high, but it sounds really good now. It's really warm and round, and it's tighter and cleaner sounding.

Yeah, sometimes my rack tom will be a pain to get it sound good, then other times it'll be the floor tom.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:18 am

when i put the J1 on my 10" rack tom, it opened it up a considerable amount, I really liked the sound it gave me.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 pm

I can get a great sound out of all my drums fairly easily. The only problem sometimes is the snare buzzing through one of the toms but live in a big open room you can't hear it.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 pm

That's one of my problems with the 10", to get it sounding good I must often tune it into the snare range which is often a very bad idea. With snares on currently my 10" sounds horrible, open it sounds fantastic.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:42 pm

My 12" is the same man, its just part of life, you will torture yourself trying to fix it, trust me i have Sad sad times.

I changed my throw off today and im having some problems getting my snares set properly, i can't get them tight enough without them making contact in the closed position. Any help?
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:13 pm

posting the same question in two threads wont get more help. There are very few people on here and almost everyone reads the official thread.
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 pm

i was actually completely day dreaming the second time ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!
I was thinking about my snare and my hands did the rest ¡This Cheese is Burning Me!
I think i may have solved the problem anywho.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by sjman409 Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 pm

o then sweet
sjman409
sjman409

http://drumzoneblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Yea, well at least i hope its solved, ill see tomorrow when im at practice, i only got a chance to tap it and it seemed ok.
Ill probably have to tune my whole kit to try and avoid the buzz if its not fixed or possibly just play this snare with the snares on tight permanently and if i want snares off whack the throw off down and loosen by hand! Im just annoyed cause i know it must be something really simple that i have left out or something isn't tight enough/too tight! Aghh.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:19 am

Dave-the-drummer wrote:My 12" is the same man, its just part of life, you will torture yourself trying to fix it, trust me i have Sad sad times.
I know its part of drumming, I've faced this problem many times over the years, trust me. But what I'm saying is, my 10" has a better tuning range around my preferred snare tuning, hence the obnoxious sympathetic vibrations. I have not had quite as many issues with the 12" as it has a very broad tuning range, one that does not match up to the snare.

Also, I recieved a reply from Paul, apparently his computer crashed and he has been sick.
Here's his view on Stave shells and Blackwood: "The stave shells have a shorter fundamental note, but are warmer, and more organic sounding than ply. "Vintage tone on steroids" is a fairly accurate description. Blackwood is similar to mahogany but not as 'dull'." He'll be passing on a price quote of Stave compared to Ply when he has the time and his spreadsheet.
And lastly, he didn't exactly answer my question on lugs, being how much is a lug as a whole, instead of the $6.00 extra per lug for the mini-tube.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 am

InSight. wrote:
Also, I recieved a reply from Paul, apparently his computer crashed and he has been sick.
Here's his view on Stave shells and Blackwood: "The stave shells have a shorter fundamental note, but are warmer, and more organic sounding than ply. "Vintage tone on steroids" is a fairly accurate description. Blackwood is similar to mahogany but not as 'dull'." He'll be passing on a price quote of Stave compared to Ply when he has the time and his spreadsheet.
And lastly, he didn't exactly answer my question on lugs, being how much is a lug as a whole, instead of the $6.00 extra per lug for the mini-tube.

It sounds like I'm gonna love Blackwood ply. Mahogany, but not as dull, mmmm.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:33 am

Levi, there was a Blackwood sleishman snare at the AUDW. It's unfortunante that the whole day is a blur currently, and it was so loud it was hard to pick it up all that well. But there was a product demo, and from memory one was a Blackwood. It sounded amazing.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:17 am

I can imagine myself loving Blackwood. Although lately, my kit has been sounding damn good in our room. I tuned it up, and the toms sit in with the music amazingly, and the bass is so punchy in the mix.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:33 am

My plans have also been becoming more extended. Perhaps this wouldn't happen until Christmas, simply because I continuously spend my money. Which begs the question, will my decision for Metro drums change by then. I really love my drums, but the 22" kick is so impractical. There's a vast amount of set-ups that I have wanted to try, but haven't been able to do so because of the enormous [not exactly] size.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:30 am

InSight. wrote:My plans have also been becoming more extended. Perhaps this wouldn't happen until Christmas, simply because I continuously spend my money. Which begs the question, will my decision for Metro drums change by then. I really love my drums, but the 22" kick is so impractical. There's a vast amount of set-ups that I have wanted to try, but haven't been able to do so because of the enormous [not exactly] size.

I hear you about the 22" inch kick thing, the only set ups i can comfortably do is offset, or 4 piece (well maybe 1 up 2 down but a 12" and 14" combo is too tiny for 1 up 2 down). If i had an 18" i could easily get two toms over the kick. But i currently like my set-up so im all good. But i definitely hear what you are saying there ash.
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm

I find it a tad amusing you guys talking about how a 22" just seems enormous. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying, but personally I've never thought my 22" kicks felt big enough. haha.
Taylor.
Taylor.

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.jordan.ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Taylor. wrote:I find it a tad amusing you guys talking about how a 22" just seems enormous. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying, but personally I've never thought my 22" kicks felt big enough. haha.

I really like mine, it sounds absolutely huge! Even unmic'd it still sounds massive. Its just i like to set up things real low but the 22" limits me a bit. Soundwise though i love it.
I don't think id ever go bigger than 22".
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:11 pm

I totally understand that. I can't even attempt to setup both my 10" and 12" toms over the kick without them being quite a bit higher and at a steeper angle than I prefer.

But I've never really had a desire to use more than one tom up front anyway, so it's never bothered me. And every time I get the chance to play on a 24" kick, I kinda regret not getting one for my Starclassics.

Ideally I'd really like to find a 24" Slingerland shell to fix up, so then I'd have the option of a 20", 22", or a 24" kick to pick from with that kit. haha.
Taylor.
Taylor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave-the-drummer Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Yea i like having 2 racktoms though but i love my 22" sound so offset solves the problem, i can get lower and flatter that way.

I never knew you had 2 kicks for your slingerland kit. Have you pimped it out yet? (by that i mean wrapped it haha)
Dave-the-drummer
Dave-the-drummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylor. Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Yeah, I've got a 20x14 Slingerland shell in Champagne Sparkle that I've had for about a year. It's just missing a few lugs, and I still need to buy hoops and claws.

I'm sooooo ready to wrap the Slingerlands and start playing them more, but funds have been a bit tight lately for new gear. Catching up on some bills and getting ready for a vacation of sorts next week. So after I get back I'm hoping to land a new job in the next couple of weeks, and when that happens I'll be able to spare some more funds for the projects. I'm excited.
Taylor.
Taylor.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:02 am

Taylor. wrote:I find it a tad amusing you guys talking about how a 22" just seems enormous. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying, but personally I've never thought my 22" kicks felt big enough. haha.
I strive for tight set-ups, and basically put: I’m not at all a very tall person. Which makes putting-together a comfortable set-up with steady height and comfort hard at times. And then to put a 22” kick on top of the mix, just makes things more difficult. I love my 22”, don’t get me wrong, it sounds perfect in most circumstances, especially those in-which I need them to sound how they are. But at times I’d like to congregate and bring together the set-up a bit more.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SKC Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:44 am

18" kick would do perfectly... Twisted Evil
SKC
SKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next