JJ Johnson Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metro Drums.

+7
J.
Rubber314chicken
Dave-the-drummer
SKC
Matt
Levi.
InSight.
11 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Metro Drums. - Page 2 Empty Re: Metro Drums.

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:59 am

Oh, OK. I'm sure he was just really busy, or he just completely forgot about it.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:07 am

Yeah it's understandable. I'm sure he's a busy man, perhaps if I was a long-time buyer, but to him I was a mere new customer asking for a small quote.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:13 am

You know, I wonder how long Metro have been going. He seems to have a lot of kits and snares on his myspace page. I hope he stays around for a long while more.

That would be a good reason to tell dad. Metro are closing down soon because of the financial crisis, so I have to order my kit now. Very Happy
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am

Well by looks of things he's pretty big, and he'll only get bigger. I just hope that he can keep up with this and I won't need to wait 6-months for a kit.

You could try! Would you sell your current kit?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:37 am

InSight. wrote:

I don't think so. I'd probably only get $500 max for it, and it'd be nice to have it around as a practice kit/ kit to take to dodgy gigs. I would probably sell my old, old kit. I'd put my old B8s on it and sell it as a whole kit, maybe get $200. It'd be better having $200 than having an old kit piled up in the corner.

And yeah, I could try and talk dad over, but I'd feel bad for lying to him. But who knows, one day I might get really impatient and tell him they're closing down. Dammit, now I'm gonna be thinking of that all the time now.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:41 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote:

I don't think so. I'd probably only get $500 max for it, and it'd be nice to have it around as a practice kit/ kit to take to dodgy gigs. I would probably sell my old, old kit. I'd put my old B8s on it and sell it as a whole kit, maybe get $200. It'd be better having $200 than having an old kit piled up in the corner.

And yeah, I could try and talk dad over, but I'd feel bad for lying to him. But who knows, one day I might get really impatient and tell him they're closing down. Dammit, now I'm gonna be thinking of that all the time now.
If I were to go with a Metro I'd mostly rely on selling my Sonor's. I'd be incredibly sad to see them go, they're truly fantastic drums, and I really wish I could own both.
I think I could get a fair bit on them, my drum teacher helps me out a lot there. He sold my forum for 600. I also need to sell my ICON, but that will most likely go towards some more cymbals.

Same here man. I'd just talk to him, will he not consider it at all? You could have the whole 'I'm 18 now and you need to let me be more independent' talk Very Happy
By the way, is it your birthday Sunday? Going to have an 18th?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:06 am

Yeah, you'd get a good price for your Sonors. And the ICON would bring in a bit too.

I dunno. It's not like he's not letting me, he's just saying I could make wiser decisions with my money. I might say yeah, I'm 18, and get him to let me buy one big thing before I start saving.

No, my birthday's Monday. I'm not having a party or anything. I haven't even asked for anything. I won't mind doing nothing. I think the first I'm going to do as a legal adult will be go and see Bruno (which is rated R I think) when it comes out. If it's not rated R I'll be pissed.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 am

Levi. wrote:Yeah, you'd get a good price for your Sonors. And the ICON would bring in a bit too.

I dunno. It's not like he's not letting me, he's just saying I could make wiser decisions with my money. I might say yeah, I'm 18, and get him to let me buy one big thing before I start saving.

No, my birthday's Monday. I'm not having a party or anything. I haven't even asked for anything. I won't mind doing nothing. I think the first I'm going to do as a legal adult will be go and see Bruno (which is rated R I think) when it comes out. If it's not rated R I'll be pissed.
My drum teacher reckons he could get a little under $500 for the ICON, considering it totals at about $900. But that would definitely go towards hats. See that's my problem, I've got a few cymbals in my sight. And to be looking at them AND a kit could really get to me.

Well just tell him you are defiant about this decision, and that would he rather you out spending it all partying or spending it on something that will be very worthwhile. I'm not trying to tell you to buy one, just idea's depending on how serious you become.

Fair enough man, I'm not big on parties. Although I'll most likely have them on the big birthdays. And sounds like fun many, apart from the fact I hate movies. Although I'm actually watching yes man right now.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 am

Yeah, I think the orange and blue is gross looking, but i like how the finish looks really high quality and that he finished inside the vent, put some chrome lugs on that drum, it would be beautiful.
Matt
Matt

https://facebook.com/matthutcheson87

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:42 pm

OK, so I got a reply this morning, which is very good. There's some
really good news for you Ash. The Tasmanian Blackwood kit sounds
very interesting. But as for the hoops, no maple, but would you settle
for Beech? And I guess this means that I won't be looking at Jarrah
anymore, but that's OK. And now I'll have to pick which satin finish
I like more.

Hi Levi,
I'll try to answer your questions......

1/ my gloss finish costs a fair bit more because there is approx. 16
hours more work involved wet sanding and buffing. It is an extremely
high quality finish as I just can't stand a wrinkly gloss finish!

I offer two types of satin finishes:

Satin mist - this involves 3 coats of sealer and two topcoats. This
finish has a more natural look and on some woods still allows some
grain to be felt.

Satin smooth - this costs more as there is approx 15 coats involved,
lots of sanding and a perfectly smooth, grain filled finish.

All 3 finishes are available as natural wood, exotic wood, tints,
stains, fades, and bursts.

Exotic veneer usually adds approx. $250 to a 5 pc kit, regardless of
the type of finish.

2/ The woods we use cost the same, with one exception.
Jarrah is now costing me 50% more as a raw material than it did 12
months ago.

I will have a new shell / kit option available soon which is going
to be very affordable for an Aussie made custom type kit. This will be
built with Tasmanian Blackwood ply shells.

3/ We don't make maple hoops. The yammie style hoops are made from
solid wood and we use jarrah (dark red brown), brushbox (medium
brown), or Queensland beech for a lighter color.

A 10" pair is $180 and a 14" pair is $200 for a tom and $220 for a
snare. Prices include gst.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.
Cheers,
Paul Warry
07 4169 0336

And Matt, yeah I think that drum would look great with chrome hardware.
Maybe not my cup of tea, but still very nice.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubber314chicken Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Aside form the obvious ugly one those are all beautiful drums. If I lived in Australia, I'd have me a set of them.
Rubber314chicken
Rubber314chicken
Admin

https://jjclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J. Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:07 am

wow these kits look great.

especially with those dreams!
J.
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:30 am

I've just got another email from Paul, about the new Blackwood kits that he might be doing. They sound very interesting.

The blackwood kit will be 6 to 8 ply shells, and offer mostly any
size. The lowest cost option will be a satin mist lacquer, either
natural blackwood or stains, fades etc..
The blackwood sounds a little similar to maple, but is a bit warmer
and mellower. I've done a few for Sleishman drums, but I'm just
working on the finer details and then I'll start to offer these as my
'standard' type drum but with plenty of size and finish options to
keep it custom.

When I've got the pricing and other details sorted, I can let you
know, but I won't have this up and running until September / October.

Cheers,
Paul
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:35 am

I'm intrigued by those blackwood kits! Thanks for sharing Levi, I'd definitely pass with wood hoops that aren't maple. I wouldn't imagine the difference changing the sound dramatically. Although with each email and thought my dream kits price seems to be increasing. This would surely set me back quite a bit, even with selling my old kit. Perhaps I could get some help from my parents, around Christmas. Why would the blackwood kit be a cheaper option, do you know Levi? And are they 100% blackwood.

months ago.
Cost the same as what, may I ask? Is this referring to an exotic material compared with a standard maple shell?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:40 am

InSight. wrote:I'm intrigued by those blackwood kits! Thanks for sharing Levi, I'd definitely pass with wood hoops that aren't maple. I wouldn't imagine the difference changing the sound dramatically. Although with each email and thought my dream kits price seems to be increasing. This would surely set me back quite a bit, even with selling my old kit. Perhaps I could get some help from my parents, around Christmas. Why would the blackwood kit be a cheaper option, do you know Levi? And are they 100% blackwood.

Yeah I can understand you being a little unsure of beech hoops.

The Blackwood kit will be cheaper because it will be sort of like his standard kit. You still get to pick the sizes and finish though. It's something I'll definitely be thinking about, especially where he said it sounds warmer than maple. And yes, 100% blackwood, 6 or 8 plies. I might go for one of these, then get an exotic veneer on the outside. Any ideas?

InSight. wrote:
months ago.
Cost the same as what, may I ask? Is this referring to an exotic material compared with a standard maple shell?

Cost the same as each other. Maple costs the same as birch, mahogany, blackwood. Each wood will be the same price, except Jarrah.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:17 am

Levi. wrote:
InSight. wrote:I'm intrigued by those blackwood kits! Thanks for sharing Levi, I'd definitely pass with wood hoops that aren't maple. I wouldn't imagine the difference changing the sound dramatically. Although with each email and thought my dream kits price seems to be increasing. This would surely set me back quite a bit, even with selling my old kit. Perhaps I could get some help from my parents, around Christmas. Why would the blackwood kit be a cheaper option, do you know Levi? And are they 100% blackwood.

Yeah I can understand you being a little unsure of beech hoops.

The Blackwood kit will be cheaper because it will be sort of like his standard kit. You still get to pick the sizes and finish though. It's something I'll definitely be thinking about, especially where he said it sounds warmer than maple. And yes, 100% blackwood, 6 or 8 plies. I might go for one of these, then get an exotic veneer on the outside. Any ideas?

InSight. wrote:
months ago.

Cost the same as each other. Maple costs the same as birch, mahogany, blackwood. Each wood will be the same price, except Jarrah.
Nope, I think I'd pass with Beech hoops. Or perhaps one the other exotic hoops, I just want that wood hoop sound.

I'd be really interested in these, but it would make my kit feel less unique, but I guess I could live with that. Although I'd be getting different lugs and hoops.
If I am to go with blackwood the finish would most likely be that picture I've been whoring around (the last pic on the first page). I love that finish so much!

I'm confused, why does an exotic veneer cost more, yet an exotic shell cost the same? Or have I got this wrong?

Also, something else would pose a problem for me. A snare, I only own my 3007 snare right now, and that would go with the rest of the kit. And I doubt I could chuck a snare into the mix, not only the cost but the extra hassle of configuring the snare specs. Hmm.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:28 am

InSight. wrote:
I'd be really interested in these, but it would make my kit feel less unique, but I guess I could live with that. Although I'd be getting different lugs and hoops.
If I am to go with blackwood the finish would most likely be that picture I've been whoring around (the last pic on the first page). I love that finish so much!

Yeah I was thinking it would feel less unique, but really, I'll probably pay the extra 200 and get an exotic veneer, so mine will be different to anyone else's.

Will you be able to get that finish? Seeing as it's a stave.

InSight. wrote:
I'm confused, why does an exotic veneer cost more, yet an exotic shell cost the same? Or have I got this wrong?

You have it right. I guess the veneer costs more cause it's more trouble for Paul to add the outer ply, rather than leave it like the rest of the drum. And remember, most of the exotic veneers are like Jarrah Burl, or Birdseye maple. No one makes a shell out of those, just the outer ply.

InSight. wrote:
Also,
something else would pose a problem for me. A snare, I only own my 3007
snare right now, and that would go with the rest of the kit. And I
doubt I could chuck a snare into the mix, not only the cost but the
extra hassle of configuring the snare specs. Hmm.

I myself wouldn't go for a Metro snare, even though they are so nice. You can get some really nice snares for $400-$500 on eBay all the time.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:44 am

Levi. wrote:
Yeah I was thinking it would feel less unique, but really, I'll probably pay the extra 200 and get an exotic veneer, so mine will be different to anyone else's.

Will you be able to get that finish? Seeing as it's a stave.
I really don't know. There wouldn't be a great deal out there with them anyway, and you could get a unique finish.
I'd say so, I mean essentially the outer side is the same as an outer two ply's, right?

Levi. wrote:You have it right. I guess the veneer costs more cause it's more trouble for Paul to add the outer ply, rather than leave it like the rest of the drum. And remember, most of the exotic veneers are like Jarrah Burl, or Birdseye maple. No one makes a shell out of those, just the outer ply.
Yeah, understandable. I still find it somewhat odd, but really cool that I could get an exotic material (excluding the one) for the same price as a maple. Like my quote for maple shells was incredibly cheap, and I was expecting to be paying far more for anything exotic.
True, though most of his materials would make a fantastic finish. The problem is trying them, sure you can rely on someone's word, but that doesn't mean you'll necessarily like them.

Levi. wrote:I myself wouldn't go for a Metro snare, even though they are so nice. You can get some really nice snares for $400-$500 on eBay all the time.
I wouldn't mind one, he's had some amazing looking snares. Maybe I could try and pick up an acrolite or something until I get funds for a wood snare.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:34 am

InSight. wrote:
I really don't know. There wouldn't be a great deal out there with them anyway, and you could get a unique finish.
I'd say so, I mean essentially the outer side is the same as an outer two ply's, right?

Yeah, I dunno if many people will get them, and there's no way in hell anyone in my town will have one.

I dunno, it won't look exactly the same as the stave kit, but it should have the same colour and grain.

InSight. wrote:
Yeah,
understandable. I still find it somewhat odd, but really cool that I
could get an exotic material (excluding the one) for the same price as
a maple. Like my quote for maple shells was incredibly cheap, and I was
expecting to be paying far more for anything exotic.
True, though
most of his materials would make a fantastic finish. The problem is
trying them, sure you can rely on someone's word, but that doesn't mean
you'll necessarily like them.

Yeah, but, I think that in the real world, most timber suppliers won't consider all those timbers exotic. Like, maple would be just as exotic to them as blue gum, so they sell it at the same price. The only time they would raise the price would be if it's getting harder to come by, which might have happened to Jarrah.

Yeah, alot of the materials would look great as just a satin finish.

And, I think I'm just going to have to take his word on the sound characteristics of the materials. I mean, if I can get my Gretsch to sound good, surely I can get a custom kit made of exotic wood to sound good too.

InSight. wrote:
I wouldn't mind one, he's had some
amazing looking snares. Maybe I could try and pick up an acrolite or
something until I get funds for a wood snare.

I haven't actually seen many acros on eBay lately. A lot of Pearl's like the Sensitones and some of the nicer Signatures are there quite a bit. And quite a few supras come along fairly regularly, some go for really great prices too.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:44 am

Levi. wrote:Yeah, I dunno if many people will get them, and there's no way in hell anyone in my town will have one.

I dunno, it won't look exactly the same as the stave kit, but it should have the same colour and grain.
It's hard enough to see them in person, let alone in your own town. Most here would own a high-production Pearl or similar brand. Hence why I'd love to get something totally different, get Metro's name out there a bit. Show Paul's quality drums.

I don't see why it wouldn't, just one's a very thin 1mm ply and ones an 8mm stave.

Levi. wrote:Yeah, but, I think that in the real world, most timber suppliers won't consider all those timbers exotic. Like, maple would be just as exotic to them as blue gum, so they sell it at the same price. The only time they would raise the price would be if it's getting harder to come by, which might have happened to Jarrah.

Yeah, alot of the materials would look great as just a satin finish.

And, I think I'm just going to have to take his word on the sound characteristics of the materials. I mean, if I can get my Gretsch to sound good, surely I can get a custom kit made of exotic wood to sound good too.
Good point. To many Maple is similar to the rest, but to us Maple is that standard and anything else is godly Cool

Yeah, I guess I'll go by his word. Obviously he knows what he's talking about, and is very knowledgeable.

Levi. wrote:I haven't actually seen many acros on eBay lately. A lot of Pearl's like the Sensitones and some of the nicer Signatures are there quite a bit. And quite a few supras come along fairly regularly, some go for really great prices too.

Right now this is the only things that will truly stop me from getting a Metro kit. I would need to save up quite a bit extra, though I'd like to get a Metro snare in fairly basic Maple specs. It wouldn't set me back a great deal I'd imagine, I wouldn't need hoops as I could slap my current hoops on, basically just a maple shell with in a natural high-gloss finish. Similar to that of the SJ snare and some lugs.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 am

InSight. wrote:
It's hard enough to see them in person, let alone in your own town. Most here would own a high-production Pearl or similar brand. Hence why I'd love to get something totally different, get Metro's name out there a bit. Show Paul's quality drums.

I don't see why it wouldn't, just one's a very thin 1mm ply and ones an 8mm stave.

Yeah, it's quite sad actually. Most of the guys around here don't take any pride in their gear. Most guys have Exports with ZXTs. Every once in a while there'll be one guy with an awesome Masters or something, but that's fairly rare. So just imagine me rocking up with my Metro with my Dreams.

And, the thickness really doesn't have anything to do with it. The biggest difference will be that the grain on the stave will be running vertical, and the grain on the ply will be running horizontal.

InSight. wrote:
Right
now this is the only things that will truly stop me from getting a
Metro kit. I would need to save up quite a bit extra, though I'd like
to get a Metro snare in fairly basic Maple specs. It wouldn't set me
back a great deal I'd imagine, I wouldn't need hoops as I could slap my
current hoops on, basically just a maple shell with in a natural
high-gloss finish. Similar to that of the SJ snare and some
lugs.

And woah, a Metro in SJ specs with wood hoops would be great. But you wouldn't be able to go 13" seeing as your hoops are 14".
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:16 am

Levi. wrote:Yeah, it's quite sad actually. Most of the guys around here don't take any pride in their gear. Most guys have Exports with ZXTs. Every once in a while there'll be one guy with an awesome Masters or something, but that's fairly rare. So just imagine me rocking up with my Metro with my Dreams.

And, the thickness really doesn't have anything to do with it. The biggest difference will be that the grain on the stave will be running vertical, and the grain on the ply will be running horizontal.
Same here man. Although Geelong's extremely big, and there's no way I'd ever be able to see everybody's kits. but I know for a fact there are some VERY kits around, but they're specifically drum teachers/artists etc.
True, though it wouldn't be a dramatic difference. I'm more after that colour tone/grain pattern, rather than wood grain direction.

Levi. wrote:And woah, a Metro in SJ specs with wood hoops would be great. But you wouldn't be able to go 13" seeing as your hoops are 14".
Oh yeah, that shows my knowledge on the SJ snare Embarassed But something similar, you can get the idea.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:25 am

By the way, Levi, I don't believe you've shared the sizes that you'd be most interested in getting. Do you have any ideas?
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi. Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:38 am

The sizes I'm thinking about are 22x15, 16x14, 12x8. Now that I think about it, Jeffrey's exact sizes.

And lately I've been thinking about 20x16,10x8,14x14. And I think that's Conor's exact sizes.
Levi.
Levi.

Back to top Go down

Post by InSight. Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:42 am

I like your config. idea.

I'm pretty torn on sizes. I'd like an 18x14 BD, but then I'd like another bass drum. Perhaps a 20", or perhaps a 22". 10x8 and 14x14. Though I don't know if I could permanently live with the 14" Floor, I've never really been able to pull enough low-end out of my 14.
InSight.
InSight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next